• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Springs have sprung (booty-fab)

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I know that many people have used S10 springs in rear as an AAL lift, but I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of doing this:

764841_7_full.jpg

Yes, those are hose clamps, and no, I would be replacing them with much stronger clamps.

I would weld it but: spring + extreme heat = bad.

It can't be that much worse than hockey puck spacers, can it?

:D

The scary thing about this is that there are at least a handful of folks reading this thread, thinking......."WOW, now that's a great idea!"...........

WOW, now that's a great idea!

WOW, haven't seen that for awhile. REALLY though, we actually teched a homebrew Ford/buggy thing at an event a few years ago with a very similar set-up. Only he DID weld them together! Needless to say he didn't pass inspection and everyone got to admire his ingenuity on the trailer!

his user name says it all...
screwy.gif
crazyoffroader said:
I know that many people have used S10 springs in rear as an AAL lift, but I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of doing this:

764841_7_full.jpg

Yes, those are hose clamps, and no, I would be replacing them with much stronger clamps.

I would weld it but: spring + extreme heat = bad.

It can't be that much worse than hockey puck spacers, can it?

crazyoffroader said:
but I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of doing this:

It can't be that much worse, can it?

:dunno:

Suposing that you did get things to stay together....

Your "much stronger clamp" maybe ought to have some sort of cylinder inside the spring that ties to each spring while also keeping them aligned.

Wouldnt you want the stiffer of the two springs to be located at the top as well as being the shorter of the two. This way your custom spring would have a variable rate closer to what $$$ get you in the real world.

Bent said:
Wouldnt you want the stiffer of the two springs to be located at the top as well as being the shorter of the two. This way your custom spring would have a variable rate closer to what $$$ get you in the real world.

Progressive rate, not variable. And top or bottom doesn't matter.

Lawn Cher' said:
Progressive rate, not variable. And top or bottom doesn't matter.

Well in that case, at least I made it till 9am before being wrong today. :D

Not bad, not too bad at all.

:wave:
TIM

cwbigjeep said:
WOW, haven't seen that for awhile. REALLY though, we actually teched a homebrew Ford/buggy thing at an event a few years ago with a very similar set-up. Only he DID weld them together! Needless to say he didn't pass inspection and everyone got to admire his ingenuity on the trailer!

I've tried welding spring steel (for an art project, not anything usable) and I found that every time I welded a spot, numerous cracks developed. Also, as soon as it was welded It became solid rather than springy, which defeated the purpose.

I'm still trying to think of how to keep the springs aligned, mabey use 6 clamps instead of three.

The clamps I was thinking about using are jist a strip of 1/8 in. steel, bent into a U around the springs, with a hole on either end so that a bolt could be used to clamp the two ends together.

Yes, I know I'm a little
screwy.gif
, but I'm just trying to think outside of the box.

crazyoffroader said:
Yes, I know I'm a little
screwy.gif
, but I'm just trying to think outside of the box.

just try to keep yourself from the eternal nap in a box...know what I mean?

relative?

brilliant.jpg

I'll nominate ya if you pst video of you driving on them...

octobe4.jpg

I guess I'm the only one that sees the obvious problem with using the hose clamps. What if they break? I think you would be much better off with zip-ties. Then there would be much less flying metal if for some totally unforseen reason there was a failure.

I like the variable rate spring idea a lot.

Back