• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating off and on

mgt

NAXJA Member #653
Ok I have searched. 99 with 53000 miles, 33"'s. seems to run about 210-215 with normal driving and a/c on, but when i stop for around 5 min or go slow through a parking lot with a/c on (outside temp around 90) it jumps from 215 to 250 real fast. I plan on flushing it first. Then go from there. the water in the rad looks good. any ideas?

try running a water wetter mix in the radiator and check the radiator fins for debris if that dosn't help

Start looking for a 2 core or 3 core radiator.

Is it a sudden jump from 210 to 250? Or does it rise rapidly from 210 to 250 over a minute or so?

The first would indicate a faulty gauge or sending unit.
The second indicates the cooling system.

Have you tried shifting to nuetral and bringing to RPM's up to 2000for a minute? How about turning on the heater? Can you hear the aux (electric) fan kick on? How's the belt, tight? When was the t-stat last replaced and what temp is it?

Trouble shooting things is a lot cheaper than replacing things, good luck.

It will stay at normal temp until i idle or go slow then it's a sudden jump to 250. oem t-stat, I do turn the heater on when it gets to 250 and it will back down in about 30 sec. My clutch fan looked like is was spinning too slow so i am going to check that out.

I'll third the fan clutch... Get it up to operating temp, pop the hood, stop the engine and see if she spins. If it's free wheeling...it's bad.

Mine started creeping up on me at stop-lights...with new fan clutch, stays steady at 205*. I also have the GDI 3-row...so that helps.

I check it and the fan clutch was free spinning, with the engine on it looks like it only spins about 100 rpm's. kinda slow looks like i could stop it by hand.

mgt said:
I check it and the fan clutch was free spinning, with the engine on it looks like it only spins about 100 rpm's. kinda slow looks like i could stop it by hand.

Yea...throw your hand in there, if it hurts your fan is fine. If it doesnt hurt, new fan clutch!

PS- To the not so intelligent....im kidding :)

yea sounds like your fan clutch is out dude.

Back