• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 4.0 replacing tired 93 4.0

richie

NAXJA Forum User
I tried search and being in the boonies gets me connected at 28,800 bps on my 56k(be easy on me please).

I just got a 99 4.0 out of a grand cherokee.I plan on using the motor in my 93.I realize I realize that I keep my electronics.I have read the threads about using the 99 intake.My questions are these.
1) Do I use the injectors,rail and throttle body off of the 93 on the 99 intake?
2) Can I use the header off of the 99 for my jeep or is there a difference where the flange meets the exhaust pipe and does the o2 sensor go in the same location.

I haven't got into it yet as I am doing a motor job for a friend in his 92.I am sure I may find my answers while working on his but thought I would throw this out there.Thanks in advance,Richie

I'm no pro since mine is an 89 with Renix injection, but from what I understand (and this could be wrong) From 92 through end of production the H.O. 4.0 didn't change except on the header which should bolt up. But I could be very wrong. The only thing I can thing of is if it was coming out of and Auto and going into a standard or vise versa. And that would just be the Flex plate / Fly wheel and the detent cable and harness for the auto.

My friend Erich just did this swap in a 94 XJ. There are differences regarding attachments for accessories due to the manifold configuration being different. I also don't recall which injectors he used, but I think he used the '94 injectors to maintain compatibility with the electronics and the fuel pump/regulator in the vehicle.

I'll e-mail him and ask him to provide details.

Thanks for the replies.I plan on using every attaching part from the 93 on the 99 motor.The 93 flexplate will be going on since I wasn't sure if they were the same due to the OBD electronics on the 99.I just was wondering about the injectors and header.Thanks again,Richie

I just did this - my 99 engine had the newer intake which yours should - use it if you can. I'm getting over 22 mpg consistantly out of it. you need to use the newer p/s pump with it - brackets and pulley were very cheap from the dealer - i used a used pump - but a new one was about 50 bucks from advanced auto. I relocated to sensor for the gauge to the thermostat housing-can post pics. I'll try to think of anything else.
Erich

Back