• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reak quick, while i have it in....

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
hey men, for some odd reason my new powertrax no slip is making an obnoxious POP...every couple of revolutions usually when i am coming to a stop..., i took the cover off again and rechecked it to ensure that everything was aligned correctly and it appeared so..anyone elses "no slip" have a weird pop when your driving it...the locker is working as i can spin both tires in the gravel when i get on it...appreciatte anyones (with more insight into this than i have) ..ideas or comments...
Maier

Mine does the same thing occasionally, generally at low speed on a very-slightly-crowned smooth road. I'm guessing there is a crossover point in the differential wheel speed that causes it to let go & re-grab, but I may be full of it. Off-pavement I've never noticed it, but the road & tire noise could be masking it there.
I installed the no-slip in Nov 04. I've been very pleased with it from day 1.

Re: real quick, while i have it in....

hey man thanx,
i guess i'll have to get used to it, i have taken it around the block a couple of times, all 90 degree right turns, stop and go at all stop signs and 25mph max... and everytime it pops, loud enough that i can hear it and hard enough that i feel it revolting through the driveline/body(i tend to drive with my hand on the shifter and the wheel, and i feel it at one of those points of contact) problem is i kinda feel like it sounds like what i imagined a snapping shaft would felll like...well guess i'll swing it and hope for the best..thanx bro....
Maier

ohh and welcome aboard..

Are you saying it pops every couple of rotations? I notice mine poping 2 or 3 times a week and it's a daily driver and sees a lot of miles.

hackedxj said:
Are you saying it pops every couple of rotations? I notice mine poping 2 or 3 times a week and it's a daily driver and sees a lot of miles.
X2

hey guys,
a city block around here is like 200 feet long, and it would pop everytime i went around a corner on that block so figure i went eight hundred feet with four right handers in it plus pulling out of the driveway and i would get five or six pops, per drive around the block. i just drove down town to the bar and it only popped a couple of times but the bar is only four or five blocks away around the corner, it seams like a lot of poping for a "no'slip" "you wont notice it" locker.......you all got any ideas....? appreciatte it...
Maier

I say something not right, I would take it apart and go through the install again and try to find the problem before it damages something. Never heard of anyone's noslip making that much noise.

Thanks for the welcome, Grifter!
I guess my noise isn't as dramatic as the one you're describing. Mine's more of a quiet pop...pop...pop that sounds kinda like a rock stuck in the tread but isn't. My no-slip was pretty noisy the first week, and I did consider taking it apart & reinstalling it, but then it settled down & I stopped being concerned. On the other hand, as easy as the no-slip is to install, a quick tear-down, inspection, & reinstall may be cheap insurance.

madrukus and hacked, i decided a tear down would probably be worth my time, so i did it. it seams that if i am coasting through a tight turn, as in taking it real easy then it pops the loudest, if i am on the gas and getting kinda throttle happy then i dont feel or hear it near as much. it performing so i am going to call it square, on that note i am one of them guys that relys strictly on the skinny peddle and after all the reading i have been doing i was under the impression that i needed to be real easy on the peddle with the locker. guess not....so i am going to push it a lil'..appears that this thing needs rpms up to operate properly...thanx guys...

Back