• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shoestring

tdr1213

NAXJA Forum User
Here's is a blurb from the jeep jamboree coming up July 7-10 in the Naches area. I'm participating in the jamboree and want to attempt the shoestring trail. However, I noticed it's "definitely not recommended for cherokee sized vehichles." (see below). Have any of you XJ'ers taken this trail? What is your opinion?

SHOESTRING/UPPER KANER-WESTBOUND (Rated 8-9; width restriction-74 inches.) This trip offers virtually everything in driving characteristics, from rocks, mud, side hill, tightness to challenging hill climbs. There are also several small creek crossings. Very scenic, extremely popular, but challenging. Definitely not recommended for Cherokee-sized vehicles, or for any vehicle with stock-sized or non-aggressive tires. CJ’s with oversized tires can negotiate the trail in this direction, even with open, non-locking differentials. Driving time is generally at least eight hours round trip.

Last edited:
I have never been on it that i know of. :dunno: But those guys that set the trails up are usually wrong about size limitations. according to them i can't run Naches pass, im too wide. Yet i've run it almost every year in both directions. Usually the issue on the trails the dedicate as CJ only the issue is the height of the XJ's. If you have roof sliders or don't car about the quarter glass go for it. The wheelbsae is usually not an issue, a CJ-7/Wrangler is 97" XJ's are 101" but most XJ's will out turn a CJ-7 or YJ.

Now that I've said that im going to cover my butt, :moon: If you run that trail you MAY recieve body damage, you MAY destroy your XJ, you MAY get pulled through and imitate a pinball. And the fleas from a thousand camels MAY infest your armpits.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, have a nice day. :lecture:

Dingo

We did Shoestring on June 18th with 7 cherokees. Ranging for 3.5"lift and 30"tires(open/open) to 6" and 33"tires(locked/locked). Only one person recieved body damage and he was locked front and rear. The trees will try to reach out and touch your drip rails, so drive carefully and you should be ok.

Here is a link of our trip. Goto page 6 for the trail reports

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56757&page=1&pp=15

Hans

Don't you have an ARB in the front?? Speaking of that, $250 is my offer on you know what.

Hans

Between the ARB with the plug on top and the taillight that is duct taped in I am starting to think the Adjustor should total that heep. Maybe I could buy it in salvage :repair: :laugh3:

Hey now, I bought a new taillight and washed the Jeep :D The adjuster didn't say anything wierd about it being a lifted Jeep, in fact, he only took pictures of the rails so for all they know its stock :D

Thanks much for the info. I'm gonna give it a go - my friends with TJ's think it's crazy to take a cherokee up there. So far I've been able to everywhere they go.

tim

XJ's are underestimated by all except those who wheel them.

Amen to that. and do it in climate controlled comfort.

Dingo

Back