• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping out guts in the axles am I forgetting something?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I have a d30 with cracked and rewelded housing that I wanna gut (locker, shafts, gears) and swap into a boneyard housing. Because hte boneyard housing was with the old style brakes I got just the housing no knuckles.
Anyways, so far list of parts I'm getting is as follows:
1. master install kit
2. carrier seals
3. new balljoints all the way around
4. new axle end uca bushings.

I think I got everything I need, but since I wanna do the whole swap in one day is there anything that I'm forgetting/missing?

Kejtar said:
3. new balljoints all the way around

I think I got everything I need, but since I wanna do the whole swap in one day is there anything that I'm forgetting/missing?

You better have some friends with a decent press or better luck then me. I spent 4 hours on one ball joint using the harbor freight press that broke 4 times!

Ghost said:
You better have some friends with a decent press or better luck then me. I spent 4 hours on one ball joint using the harbor freight press that broke 4 times!
I swapped 2 balljoints in my other axle with the HarborFreight one and it was easy :D (ok not easy, but not that hard either)

Kejtar said:
I swapped 2 balljoints in my other axle with the HarborFreight one and it was easy :D (ok not easy, but not that hard either)

Please post a link to the tool you have bc mine SUCKED!

Kejtar said:
the one i have is this one You just have to fiture out a funky support to counteract the angles on the contact of the press to the surface.

You know the pinion depth, preload and backlash are all going to change, right?

For maximum life out of the 30, set the B/L to .004 or .005. Tight, tight, tight carrier bearing preload.

CRASH

CRASH said:
You know the pinion depth, preload and backlash are all going to change, right?
Yup, I'm taking that into account. I'm more worried about not having a part handy that I will need.

For maximum life out of the 30, set the B/L to .004 or .005. Tight, tight, tight carrier bearing preload.
Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Back