• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much play in front drive shaft?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 4x4 AW4 XJ and lately the jeep feels like something is wobbling when you get up to 50 or so. I was under it today checking possible looks parts, and I noticed I can rotate the front driveshaft about 1/4" back and forth. The rear driveshaft doesn't move a bit, so that got my attention. Is this front driveshaft play normal?

Sometimes when I apply the brakes the jeep will shake rather violently, or at least a hell of a lot more than it should. I don't really feel any vibrations in the brake pedal, just the whole jeep itself. Would this be related to the above, or more likely warped rotors?

Yes, the ROTATIONAL play in the front driveshaft is normal... Do you have this wobble all the time or just when you apply the brakes?? If the rotors are warped then the steering wheel ought to be shaking while brakeing... Your drums may be out of round as well, if you are getting this vibration while braking... HTH

Will.

I get the 50ish mph wobble is while just driving normally, not while braking. It also wobbles, but more violently, when you brake (not always though).

Other times hard braking will severly pull the jeep to one side, seems to happen in either direction.

Well I'm pretty much at the same spot I was when I posted earlier today.

I forgot to mention the jeep sometimes also makes a groaning noise when you're braking and making a sharp turn at the same time.

Check the front driveshaft for play - it should be minimal to none at the slip joint (too much play will cause the splines to eventually self-destruct,) and there should be NO noticeable play between the halves of the various driveshaft yokes - check for EACH cross! Grab one side of the yoke in one hand, the other side in the other, and twist in opposite directions.

Jack up the front end, and turn the front driveshaft (you might have to pull the shift collar into 4WD, if you have a disconnect axle) and watch the wheels. They should turn immediately - you can reverse the process by turning the wheel and checking for play within the u-joint yoke just behind the wheel.

You might also want to pull the wheels off up front, and check the calipers. Check for roughly even wear of the pads - both from end-to-end on each pad, and the two pads should have about the same material on each wheel. Also, the wear from wheel-to-wheel should be similar.

If one inner pad is worn more than the other, then the caliper is probably not "sliding" (it's supposed to) and it will need to be removed and the sliding surfaces cleaned and graphited.

Why graphite? Most greases are wet, and wet stuff near dust sources tends to collect dust, which either becomes abrasive (bad) or craps everything up (also bad.) I don't use anything but dry graphite on brakes anymore - both on the caliper pins and the sliding surfaces on the caliper and the mounting bracket.

You can check the rotors for runout if you have a dial indicator and a magnetic base - or know someone who does. You just fix the magnetic base to some solid part of the vehicle, put the probe on the rotor surface, and spin the rotor. Watch the dial gage - max acceptable runout is .005" overall - check both sides, if you have access to a dial gage.

If you notice anything else odd that I didn't mention, let us know so we can tell you what's going on.

5-90

I had this same issue on my 96 XJ. Turned out to be one of two things... I had a wobble that was caused from a bad unit bearing, I was able to see the flange was just slightly bent but enough to cause this at higher turning speeds. Also I had a squeak or cherp that was driving me insane. It turned out to be the U joints on the front axles They passenger side was bone dry with no grease.

Hope this helps.

Back