• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to go for sparkplug replacement in Los Angeles?

jtszymano

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to try to do it myself but thought better of it an want to leave it to the pro's/
Any advice?
Also, I think the dealer may have said in the past that it was like 100$. Which I thought was crazy. tHanks JS

It's easy to change spark plugs - the only one that's really a pain is the #1 (very front) underneath the AC Compressor.

You need a ratchet handle, a 5/8" sparkplug socket (it's a deep socket with a rubber grommet that holds the plug for you,) a universal joint (comes in handy for #1 and #6) and a 6" extension (comes in handy for #1.)

When you disconnect the spark plug wire, grab it BY THE BOOT ONLY and twist before you remove it - they tend to get a little stuck, and that helps to free it. If you pull by the wire, you stand a good chance of pulling the wire out of the boot, the boot will still be stuck on the plug, and you'll have to pull it off and shove the wire back thru it.

Work them ONE AT A TIME so you don't get the wiring mixed up.

I always use a little never-seez on the threads so they won't sieze later (which really sucks!) and a little dielectric grease around the inside of the plug boot opening to help keep the boots from sticking.

The whole job, if you're not in a hurry, can usually be done in a half-hour without having to tear anything apart (I think I've got it down to a little under 10 minutes - and I'm still not in a hurry.)

There are plenty of us down in SoCal (check the chapter. I'm up in San Jose, or I'd help) who would probably give you a hand for a beer or so - check around. $100 for plugs is ridiculous.

One of the best things you can do for yourself is learn to do at least tune-ups and minor repairs, if you don't know how to already. You can learn from us (many of us have gotten quite good at this...) or check around your local community colleges - most of them have at least basic automotive courses. A lot of those also have degree/certificate programmes, which might also be worthwhile (which is what I'm doing now. I've been doing automotive work since I was seven, I just need the paperwork and ASE certs now...)

Just knowing how to do tuneups and oil changes can save you a fortune over the years...

5-90

I know it sounds so simple. Maybe Ill reconsider, especially if someone nearby comes to help...Thanks JS

Also, I usually change the oil etc do minor things. I also have changed out the suspension by my self.

jtszymano said:
I know it sounds so simple. Maybe Ill reconsider, especially if someone nearby comes to help...Thanks JS

Also, I usually change the oil etc do minor things. I also have changed out the suspension by my self.

And your're nervous about doing the plugs ? Plugs are easier and cleaner than changing the oil. Over 30 years of that and I STILL have not figured out how to get the damn drain plug and my fingers out of the way quick enough to not get them covered in hot oil LOL and every time I drop the plug into the oil catch container it lands RIGHT IN the hole and blocks the oil going into the container and I end up getting toasty fingers fishing the plug out...
One plug at a time or label the wires by cylinder number...

Marina Del Rey/Mar Vista. 90292. That would be great if you could swing by. There is no immediate rush, but like I said that would be really great. Later Jeremy

jtszymano said:
Marina Del Rey/Mar Vista. 90292. That would be great if you could swing by. There is no immediate rush, but like I said that would be really great. Later Jeremy
bring the jeep to the M&G on Wednesday and it can be done in few minutes. I got the tools and I'll tell you what to do :D

Sounds pretty simple afterall.
Regarding troubleshooting:
What should I expect?
What sort of plugs should I get?
Thanks.
If this doesnt pan out, and the thing wont start after jimmying with it...I'll be the guy at the M&G with the XJ on a flatbed getting towed. So have the red carpet ready...
Nothin' like a grand entrance.

I use Autolite Platinum in all my rigs - no trouble there. I have an intense dislike for Champion since I had a set explode in my Bug years and years ago, and Autolite plugs have always treated me well. They usually go for about $2 per plug.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding anyone down there - and the regional M&G times are fun - gives you a chance to meet other like-minded (read: "marginally insane") individuals such as yourself who at least speak the same language...

Welcome aboard! Sounds like I'm getting more and more reasons to arrange a trip South...

5-90

Maz said:
I am not sure on 2001, but use Champion on my '89.

They were Champions, but then Chrysler decided that they should be NGKs. *Shrug* If we're just talking about basic plugs, there's probably not a lot of difference anyway.

As for doing this job on a 2001... It's a little more of a PITA than on the '87-'99 models due to the coil rail. It comes off easily enough, but trying to get it back on can be, uh, fun - the main problem is trying to get all six plug boots to line up properly *and* clear the A/C compressor. Not impossible or overly-difficult, just annoying to have to deal with. Why Jeep didn't go with three coil packs instead of one I'll never understand.

Jackass dealer said champions. But would not give a part #. Said he didnt want to do the work for someone else. Can u believe that comment. He also said there was only one kind of champion plug...

Casm, what about the NGK's? Id like to replace with exactly whats in there w/o having to peek in there first. Since I have hac no probs yet...JS

well its good that you have an offer to help you change your plugs, maybe you have a lawnmower thats not your daily driver and begin by changing the plug on it, hell even get crazy and change the oil in your mower and clean the air filter too!! If you can change the oil in your ride, doing a plug job is just as easy, but if you have never done it before perhaps it may be somewhat imtimidating. Take a few hours, got to you local college take a small engine class, go say hi to that neighbour thats always wrenching till the wee hours of the morning, its easy to do, get an manual, take your time, git r done

Back