• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

acouple questions

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
1) i herd about a steering box upgrade (I think it is from a dakota) does anyone know about it and how good it is.......
2) what do your rock slyders weight i am going to be making some out of a 1 1/2x 3 1/2 steel that is 1/4 inch thick do you think that will be too heavy and over kill
3) how do you change out your ac for a air compressoir the home made style( cost and write up would be great) i am looking for a good but cheap air upgrade....
Thanks for all your help guys

Nearly any of the smaller "metric" Saginaw steering boxes can be used - Dodge and GM both use Saginaw. Therefore, a Dakota box is probably good, and a Camaro/Firebird box is also an option. Check around, they're all the same externally (the turns ratio and lock-to-lock turning is what's different.)

No sliders - can't help you there. 1/4" might be a bit much - for large parts, reducing by 1/16" wall thickness can add up. The strength of these members comes largely from the structure of the part, not the stock thickness. Oh - most tube stock is "rolled and welded" - look for the weld seam, and put that somewhere it will either be reinforced by another part, or will not be subject to impact stresses - you want to "ride" on a solid side.

Most OBA conversion can use the OEM compressor - you have to plumb in some sort of oiler at the compressor intake, and some sort of oil separator at the outlet. You can probably filter and recycle the oil somehow.

I'd retain the clutch, but wire the clutch relay through a toggle switch, which would allow for turning the compressor on and off at will, which will give you control over the system.

I'd also want to plumb in some sort of pressure tank (which could also allow for a point to separate oil and/or water from the system.) I've known some people to use rock-rails for tanks (properly sealed) - which I don't care for - or making bumpers out of tube stock, which works better - they're up out of the way.

The Sanden is often usable for OBA - and there are some setups which are using the York compressors out there - which usually work better. It's up to you - but check around with some of the Jeep sites for more information (I'm sure MadXJ has a few writeups, GoJeep might have one, and there are others I'm sure.)

5-90

Back