• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to Manual Window Conversion Part #s

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
Guys:

Looking at an 88 XJ here

I am looking @ my factory parts diagrams and they do not distinguish between the left and right front manual regulators having differnt part #s only on the rear...also they do not show if the 2 door will work... i am going to swithc my windows out for manuals also if anyone has a jeep of this era and wants to do as swap-o-roo they are welcome to my motors and regulators and swithces

I am looking for a drivers front wiring harness from a two door XJ to swap into my MJ. Not sure from your post if you have a two or four door.

I do not know if this will help. I replaced my driver manual window, for lack of a better term, roller upper. I went to the junk yard today and the 2 door manual is the same as the 4 door manual. I have a 2 door that the roller upper went bad in and got one that is out of a 4 door that is an exact match.

The main harness is the same in both 2 and 4 door models. If you have a 2 dr you just dont use the plugs for the rear doors. The only thing to be concerned about is that you get all the parts from a xj that is the same year as yours. XJ harnesses also have the wiring for the tailgate, thats where my problem was. I made countless trips to the boneyard to get the correct parts for my xj. Putting p/w in a mj might be simpler cuz you wont have to mess with the tailgate wiring. I dont know if the regulators from the 2dr are the same as the 4dr but I would think the 4dr ones would be the ones to go with because the mj doors are the same as 4dr fronts. The install is not too bad just drill out the rivets, take out the regs. and bolt the new ones in. You might as well do the p/l while your in there since you will have all the wiring for them on the same harness.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack, but does anyone know if the power regulators have the hardware in to convert them to manual ones (ie a splined receiver for the crank handle) if the motors go bad?

When you get a new regulator everything is there if its power the motor is attached if its manual everything is there. They are complete units.

I know for a fact the manual regualtor design is a fair bit differnt from the auto one

I have all the parts from a four door cherokee and the drivers door switch from a two door. If you lay the switches side by side the passenger door switch is in a different place so I don't know if the four door wiring will work or not.

Now that I take a closer look at the harness, the rear portion is an add-on so I can cut it out of the harness and still use the two door portion.

Thanks for the input.

The only dif. in the design is the p/w setup has a motor attached and the manual has a crank mechanism in its place. There might be a difference in them if the years are too different. Up to 96 should all be the same and maybe 97 up may not be the same as the the earlier ones.

Back