• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case fluid, and shifter problem.

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I don't know if I'm blind or something but how do I check the t-case fluid level? I looked all over under there and I couldn't find a bolt. I think it may be low because when I accelerate somewhat hard I here a really fast clicking like a "buzz" coming from what sounds like the t-case. I also think it's low because the rear output shaft seal has been leaking. I have the seal I just need to replace it now.

I just got done replacing all the axle seals and the rear main seal. The rear main was so dried up it wasn't even pliable anymore I could of cut myself on the dried up rubber if I wanted to. That and it looked like it was missing a few pieces. The old oil pan gasket was probably the biggest pain in that whole project.

As for my shifter it will not go into park all the way. I was wheeling about a month ago and I put it into 1 and I kind of had to jam it in there and ever since it's like the locking positions have moved.

Well, that's all the problems I have for now...

You don't say what year or t-case you're looking at, but on the rear of the case (NP231, NP242) there is a small round metal disk that gives you the t-case type. Below and slightly to the left of that there are two large (1 3/16") hex heads for some very short bolts. Park on a flat surface and remove the upper one - fluid should be at the threads. The lower one drains it. Later models came with a recessed bolt head that (if I recall correctly) used a 3/8" ratchet to remove it.

Ok, I seen one bolt that had a rather large head on it. I have the NP242 I think it is. 1987 with selec-trac. I'll go check for the second bolt now. I also forgot to ask, what kind of fluid should I use. I'm guessing some sort of ATF because that's what it looks like that is dripping out.

might try looking for a 3/8 drive fill plug on the tcase. Should be a drain and a fill plug.

Mercon/Dexron III is your fluid.

Ok, I got the fluid level checked and it is a little low. I did it in my driveway which has the rear end lower by a bout a foot and the fluid was still under the hole by a little bit. Somehow I doubt this will get rid of the clicking but it's worth a shot. The u-joints were replaced not too long before I got the jeep so they should still be good.

Back