• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strength of Lift Struts

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I've got a spare pair of gas lift struts out of a 99 XJ and I want to use one to lift my hood like GoJeep has on his. I'm going to experiment and mount them differently than he did, but before I mess around with them, I just need to know how much resistance there should be on one. It's fully extended and I can't push it in at all, even putting my body weight on it. I don't want to get it installed and find out it's seized up...Anyone know how hard it should be to push it in?

Well, considering they hold over a 100lb hatch they have to be pretty hefty. Why not just disconnect one of your rear ones and stick that one to see if it works.

I thought of that and checked, but I've got a 95 XJ, so it's a totally different mount. I'd try it on my brother's XJ (the one they come off of after his hatch had to be replaced thanks to a rear end accident) but he's off at work, and even if I could I don't think he'd appreciate me messing with his nice new rear hatch...

FWIW, I had to install a new set of rear hatch struts on a WJ this week at work. The replacement ones seemed just a tad longer than the old ones. I tried compressing them a little bit by putting my body weight on them (close to 200lbs) and they barely budged. I ended up having someone hold up all the way on the hatch until I got them lined up and tightened down. When all was said and done though, the hatch closed with relative ease. I think, the way the valving works in them, the force has to be applied on a slight angle for them to collapse.(Like when you're closing the hatch)

In short: yes, they do have quite a bit of resistance in them...

Thanks for the help. It sounds like these should be fine then. I'm temporarily putting this on hold now, though. I'm getting ready to put in a new intake setup and it looks like this might get in the way. Space is starting to getting a little low under the hood...

Back