• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Replacement

Markster

NAXJA Forum User
Hello XJers,
I have a 97 4.0 L Sport with about 75K miles on it. I'm wondering if I should replace the timing (main) belt yet. What signs of wear should I be looking for?
I travel in remote areas at times and I can just imagine the belt breaking out in the Mojave or someplace remote.
Thanks!

Serpentine belt perhaps?

If you are talking about that belt, yes you may as well. Is not that expensive and would give you peace of mind. If you are refering to the timing chain, no. They last a long time and hardly ever break.

If yer talking about the main serpentine belt on the front of the engine, then yes I would go ahead and replace it. They are only like 20-25.00 then you can use the still good one that you take off as a spare in case you need it to get home or such. I keep my old belt under the rear seat storage along with other odds and ends like old radiator lines and hoses that I've replaced just for regular maintenance along with extra rubber lines in various sizes in case one of them decides to take a dump out in the middle of nowhere.

Back