• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving Alternator

BigReady

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 limited with a RE4.5". I have replaced my alternator a number of times and want to remove my AC compressor and put the alternator there. Has anyone done this or moved it somewhere else.
Thanks
Mike

It is possible, check out the thread on the 05 TJ motor. I noticed a few months ago when I was out at my friends shop, he was working on an 03 or 04 TJ, the alt and ac had been reversed so the compressor was on the bottom and alt on top. My best guess would be just a matter of finding the TJ brackets and putting them in and it is just a guess. Don't know if it would line up correctly but it might.

Yes
I killed a couple in the mud so I wanted to put it on top Just like the 4cy Comanche, so I took the mounting bracket off a 4cy and put it on my 4.0 only mod was you have to take about a 1/4" off the aluminum idle pulley mounting boss/”if you don’t you will notice the idle pulley will ride the belt only half way and this will wear the belt quick I would say”
Oh I almost forgot you will need to use the 4cy alternator or change the front half due to the ears are straight across on the new setup and the 4.0 was at a 45deg

I have a couple thousand miles on this set up and it is solid
For reference I have a 1989 4.0 and pulled the mount off a 1989 2.5

Back