• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Orange oil coming out of A/C comp? OBA

Spanky414

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just started to put my OBA system together and in testing the compressor just to make sure it still worked a bunch of orange oil started spewing out of it. I'm guessing this is just the original oil that use to run through the A/C system?

I've read of people using the compressor just to fill tires and not having an oil seperator with it, I'm guessing first they blew all that out by running the compressor for a couple minutes without anything hooked up to it?

I'm suprised no one mentioned this in all the writeups about OBAs, the amount of oil thats come out so far in a about 3 minutes of running would have filled my mini filter.

A York compressor is a piston type pump and has oil in its crankcase. A Sanden type compressor does not use pistons and has no crank case. For any use at all, you need to add an inline oiler on the input to keep the compressor oiled. That is why oil is added to the refrigerant in a Sanden system. An oil seperator on the pressure side is a good idea, alternatively you could put a drain on any tank you use on the pressure side and just purge it ever so often. A drain should be included anyway to remove moisture.

Spanky414 said:
I'm suprised no one mentioned this in all the writeups about OBAs, the amount of oil thats come out so far in a about 3 minutes of running would have filled my mini filter.

That is why EVERYONE says to run a seperater on the output. Did you think we all say that for our health? You need to circulate oil thru the compressor, install an oiler on the input, seperator on the output.

Rev

I'm fine with running and oiler and a seperator, I was just suprised at the sheer amount of stuff coming out of it. It would fill the seperator and clog lines and tools. I'm guessing everyone runs a bit of it off and then attaches the seperator?

Back