• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 XJ Alternator ?'s

OK, I searched and all of the threads for an high amp alternator are for the 4.0's. I have an 85, 2.8, no ac, M8000, Optima red top (soon to be yellow), no lights (will have some soon), and 2 ga cables for the batt to starter. I need to find a higher amp alternator than the 66 amp stocker. I work p/t @ a salvage yard (yeah, it's cool for parts) and have cheap access to parts. Has anyone used a later model alternator to replace the 10SI (?) This is standard GM alternator with the 2 wire plug in the back and the 1 wire hookup to the battery. The highest amp alternator I can find in this style is a 78 amp. I have a good local shop that can up the amps but if I can get one that will work from the yard (!). The later model alt's have a 3 or 4 wire hookup to the plug, is this just a splice to the two wires I have on the stock harness? I haven't looked at a wiring diagram for a late model GM to see what they go to, I'm at work so I have been looking but no luck. Any ideas other than get one rewound? TIA

you look at early 80s cadillacs?

I had one of them in my 85. bench tested output was 115 amps

don't exactly remember what or how.

it was quite a bit bigger had to modify the brackets to fit it.

this was when I was into big loud stupid stereos

now I can't hear.

I would like to see a write up on this please. I am also looking for some more amps at the alternator in my 85.

Kim.

I just took my to the local alt shop and he put a new regulator in and boosted its output to 90 amps. b4 I swapped t the 94 it would keep my needle on the alt guage on 14......

I had it lined up for the local shop to do it, but if I can get an 140 amp out of a late model 3.8 GM for what? 20-25 at the local PNP (even if I didn't have the hook up) and the harness for 15.00=40.00 vs. 90 (my local was going to charge 110). The cool thing is that this should work on all of the GM's (K-5's, etc). I'll see how it goes. BTW, forgot the 5 bones for the new 4ga wire from alt to batt. So 45.00

Back