• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For God sake Help Me! and Hi all.

LostintheWoods

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I'm the proud owner of my first Jeep and really do love the thing but...........
It has in the last week started stalling (suddenly as if someone pulled the key out of the ignition) and will sometimes restart while I'm coasting down the road, sometimes it won't. It does crank in a efficient military manner and all electrical do-dads continue to work. I have replaced the fuel pump allready and fuel tested and thats not the problemo. So if anyone can exsorcise the deamons from my '94 country 4.0 auto(yuk) trans. I would be VERY happy, and maybe a little less lost..........

LostintheWoods said:
Hi all,
I'm the proud owner of my first Jeep and really do love the thing but...........
It has in the last week started stalling (suddenly as if someone pulled the key out of the ignition) and will sometimes restart while I'm coasting down the road, sometimes it won't. It does crank in a efficient military manner and all electrical do-dads continue to work. I have replaced the fuel pump allready and fuel tested and thats not the problemo. So if anyone can exsorcise the deamons from my '94 country 4.0 auto(yuk) trans. I would be VERY happy, and maybe a little less lost..........

COOL. Someone has my problem....you have to wait about 5 minutes or so sometimes to get it to turn over and fire again, dont you ?!

Yes thats the one! lol dosn't help fix it though........... I've heard it could be the crank position sensor but I'm not the king of electronics that I thought I was.........

LostintheWoods said:
Yes thats the one! lol dosn't help fix it though........... I've heard it could be the crank position sensor but I'm not the king of electronics that I thought I was.........

my89 used to do it intermitantly also...It was a bad connector under he exhaust maniforld fo the CPS. I could play with the connector and get it to fire.

LostintheWoods said:

yeah we got the same damn problem. I've heard other things as well...CPS is gonna be a PITA I looked at it last night. Glad to see jeep made it so acessible.

BUT you don't get any codes coming up either, and when we do....I hope both of us can get our rig to somewhere where we can fix it :D

I've piced up a bunch of parts at work other than the CPS...gonna by that pup NEW.

If I figure out what it is...I'll be the first to let ya know :D

Is the sensor bad or the connection you think? Or is there anything else it could be? I'd like to be sure as I'm going to the rockies (mountains that is) in a few days and would rather not die.

LostintheWoods said:
Is the sensor bad or the connection you think? Or is there anything else it could be? I'd like to be sure as I'm going to the rockies (mountains that is) in a few days and would rather not die.

I have no idea....other than it has to be electrical. The problem started once on friday for me, 2 times on monday....and 4 times yesterday.

I figure pretty soon if I don't find it first....It's gonna go at the worst possible time. And then I'll know exactly what the trouble is.

usually the connector gets full of oil and crap and looses its connection, I believe that chrysler actually makes a little plug and play wiring harness to correct the problem

With my manual trans I had a slow leak at teh internal slave and it would coat the cps in fluid then dust would build up on it and it could not see any more...took it out and cleaned it no more problems

xjnation said:
usually the connector gets full of oil and crap and looses its connection, I believe that chrysler actually makes a little plug and play wiring harness to correct the problem

With my manual trans I had a slow leak at teh internal slave and it would coat the cps in fluid then dust would build up on it and it could not see any more...took it out and cleaned it no more problems

ok man...How in the HELL did you get to the CPS..? I'm thinking the little rachet style wrenchs where you need very little turning radius to bust'em loose...but even then it doesn't look like much room. I can't see trying to get to it from underneath...above looks easier. (actually it looks like a PITA all the way around, but worse from underneath)

red91inWA said:
ok man...How in the HELL did you get to the CPS..? I'm thinking the little rachet style wrenchs where you need very little turning radius to bust'em loose...but even then it doesn't look like much room. I can't see trying to get to it from underneath...above looks easier. (actually it looks like a PITA all the way around, but worse from underneath)

I took mine out from underneath and yes ratcheting wrenches....best tools ever invented

I use an extension that is about 24" long with a wobble tip from underneath. Just be carefull not to drop the bolt down in the bell housing. Personally, I would take it to a quarter wash and crawl under and clean the whole area from the bottom and the top before I started working on it. It will make your life a lot easier. Make sure and let the vehicle cool for several hours before as well. If you just can't get in there, you can put a jack under the tranny cross member and unbolt it. Then adjust the jack down. That will tip the engine/tranny/tcase down and give you some more room. If you know what you are doing and have the tools it is a 15 minute job without dropping the crossmember.

old_man said:
I use an extension that is about 24" long with a wobble tip from underneath. Just be carefull not to drop the bolt down in the bell housing. Personally, I would take it to a quarter wash and crawl under and clean the whole area from the bottom and the top before I started working on it. It will make your life a lot easier. Make sure and let the vehicle cool for several hours before as well. If you just can't get in there, you can put a jack under the tranny cross member and unbolt it. Then adjust the jack down. That will tip the engine/tranny/tcase down and give you some more room. If you know what you are doing and have the tools it is a 15 minute job without dropping the crossmember.

x2 the cross member is a good touch. and long extension. on the ax4 its an easy reach, the aw4 is quite a bit tighter.

Is it in the same place on a auto tranny? and by the way I've heard the borge warner cps's are junk and often dont work from the factory. $Mopar$ or another company are a better replacement. It's the wierdest thing I've ever encountered, went to start it just now and took 15 minutes or so of intermitant cranking started twice but cut out right away and finally started and stayed running. Runs and idles well all the time except when it dies.

LostintheWoods said:
Is it in the same place on a auto tranny? and by the way I've heard the borge warner cps's are junk and often dont work from the factory. $Mopar$ or another company are a better replacement. It's the wierdest thing I've ever encountered, went to start it just now and took 15 minutes or so of intermitant cranking started twice but cut out right away and finally started and stayed running. Runs and idles well all the time except when it dies.

yep that sonds like the connector, take it apart, clean it out anduse some dielectric grease in it and reassemble, might be the cheap fix

Thanks a lot guys, I dont care what the land rover guys say, you jeep folk are good people.............
So are al xj's prone to wierd failures or is this a common problem with the 4.0's or am I one of the (un)lucky few?
I'll let u all know if the cleaning thing works. I guess mom was right cleaning is a good thing...........

LostintheWoods said:
Thanks a lot guys, I dont care what the land rover guys say, you jeep folk are good people.............
So are al xj's prone to wierd failures or is this a common problem with the 4.0's or am I one of the (un)lucky few?
I'll let u all know if the cleaning thing works. I guess mom was right cleaning is a good thing...........

this kinda problem is actually fairly common on many vehicles, and as for land rover guys theya re just jealous :rattle:

LostintheWoods said:

Sensors just go bad over time. Heat and Corrosion are the major players. So far my wife's XJ (93') has been perfect in reguard to sensors, suspension is another story. My 93' has has it's gremlins with CPS to fuel pumps, but all within reason. Otherwise, other than an alternator or waterpump, they are pretty bullet proof for many miles.

Back