• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing tire carrier from an S10 Blazer

ab_12_sb.JPG

ce_12_sb.JPG

There's a mount over the right tail-light and one below it and a clamp/locking point on the tailgate and it swings towards the pass side

Its not gonna happen on an XJ without "major" work!

First thing that comes to mind is reinforcing the sheet metal on the body where the hinge mounts are - you'll have to dig in behind the interior trim and fab up supports for those. Same goes for the tailgate where you'd mount the latch - I wouldn't trust the fiberglass hatch to hold up to the stress over time without some major fabbing and reinforcement. Over time (even without major wheeling stresses/shocks) the load of the carrier+tire will crack the steel/fiberglass with the day-to-day vibration and jolts of on-road driving. Too much work/$$ when other much better options are available.

'Course I'm the guy who's spare is laying in the cargo area 'cause I'm too cheap/lazy to buy/fab a trick tire carrier :gag:

I have one in my shop and there is almost no way to do it unless you spent about as much as it would cost to buy. The latch is on the tailgate, on the GMs this is a hunk of crap.

It really doesn't look worth your time to do. You may end up with your rear quarter all pulled out or bent and ripped.

It did not want to come off the Blazer, had to sawzall the rear-quarter...Thanks for the input, I guess this'd have to be one of those rainy week projects.

Back