• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exterior Door plastic trim

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
My exterior trim on the doors are fading. They are a ugly grey. Now i know that i can paint them but my question is how do i remove them. The double stick tape is so hard to get off. I mean i can just pull the the trim will eventually come off. But how will i remove the double stick tape residue. Paint thinner etc will take it off but will also remove all my paint at the same time. Any tipes on how to effectively do this would be appreciated. thanks

WD40 usually does well at removing adhesive residue without damaging anything else. It does take some work though. There's stuff made for it that works even better (I think it's called GooBeGone or something cheasy like that).

HTH!

My exterior trim on the doors are fading. They are a ugly grey. Now i know that i can paint them but my question is how do i remove them. The double stick tape is so hard to get off. I mean i can just pull the the trim will eventually come off. But how will i remove the double stick tape residue. Paint thinner etc will take it off but will also remove all my paint at the same time. Any tipes on how to effectively do this would be appreciated. thanks

I ripped mine off and it was impossible to get the remnants of the glue off. It looked horrible and nothing would get the trim to stick again.
Billy

Frank Z said:
When I took mine off I used a hair dryer to warm up the tape and then my thumb to roll the tape. Patience is needed but the results are worth it. after geting the tape off I used some "Goo Gone" and a paper towel to remove the last bit of adhesive that has left behind. It took all of 30-45 minutes to do the whole Jeep.
x2

I would try and get your hands on a heatgun. I play hockey and have one for my shafts and stuff. That heats those up pretty wellt o were they peel off farly easy like. Your going to get some glue sticky stuff left over. Then you might stop at a piantsupply/body shop place. they make a ruber disk that can take that stuff off in a snap. It goes on the end a dril or buffer if you have one. Takes stickers and goo off without messing up the paint.

Back