• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another leaf spring question

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I've been searching and trying to find a definitive answer but haven't found one.
I've a '90 Pioneer with really bad leaf springs. I'm going to get them done next week, and use them until I can afford to put my lift in next summer. At present I need to bring it up 2" to get it back to stock and would like to bring it up at least another inch or two. I've pretty much decided getting two leafs put in, rather than just the one considering the state of them at present.
I know that I should have one the length of the main one. As for the second, should I have it just replace one of the existing? Is what I'm trying to do possible and realistic? I was intially wondering if I could get it done so it's about 4" up from where it is at present, knowing it will settle some and hopeing to end up 1 to 1 1/2" over stock for now.
Input on this woudl be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Are you certain you need to come up 2" just to reach stock height? If so you must be riding on the bump stops.

You haven't said how you are going to "have them done." Is this going to be a commercial AAL installation, a home-brew AAL installation, or are you having the existing springs re-arched?

What I would do in your place would be to find another pair of XJ springs. I would cut the eyes off the main leaves and use those as AALs directly under the original main leaves. Then I would take the "donor" second leaves, and trim the tips so they fall midway between the original second and thitd leaves for length. Install those between the second and third leaves of your original springs. Button everything up and drive it.

Using the measurement of 17" from bottom of flare to center, I'm down approx 2" each side. I'm not riding the bump stops, but if I hit a bump hard enough I do feel them hit.

I'll be having them done at a spring shop as I'm not able to do them here at all. I was going to get two leaves per side, as the price is not much more than getting one done. I was thinking of getting a donor and going that route, but the springs I've seen aren't really any better than my own, and then I'd have to figure out how I'd get them in. Just easier to get it done there.

It's an interim soloution for now for me until I can afford to get a lift done next year. What my thinking is if I can get it raised an inch or two over stock having the two leafs put in [as I figure it will settle some] to get me through until then. Is this being realistic? or is it not feasible to do? Is there anything specific I should ask them when I take it in? At the very least I need to bring it up at least to stock level. [My bro who I got it from hauled a fully loaded uhal trailer across the country which is why I figure they're sagging like they are as it had stock springs, not HD ones for towing]

How much of a lift are you planning on?? You can do a BB and most likely still be very close to the cost of 2 AAL per side, go to the wreckers get a donor leaf pack, or just ask on Naxja, for less than $200 you can lift it all round to 2" above stock.......just a thought

Have been to a few wreckers around here and none look in good shape which is why I decided to go to a spring shop. That and not being able to it myself here. Will cost me $200CN to have them done.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input that helped me with this.

Got it done yesterday. Added two leaves [main and second leaf and replaced the third on the passenger side as it was worse than the donor one] Took me a total of about 4hrs. Only injury I ended up with is cutting myself getting the damn wheels off! Had the rear tires redond so was a bitch taken them off.
Stated at 15" from center to flair. After completion, I'm now at 19". So far everything feels and rides good. The metal clamps are kinda crappy so hopeing they'll do for now. Getting new ones made for me so hopefully they'll be done to put on mid week.

Now to try to see if I can find some grand cherokee V8 coils.

Washed out the mud and crap off it today. Had it on level ground in the garage, which I basically never have access to. Front is to spec height, and after hitting the construction site and screwing around in there, it's settled to 18.5" in the back. All in all I'm quite happy with it. Hoping it'll stay that way until I can afford having the suspension totally redone.

I'm planning on having the rocker panels cut out and redone as well as undercoating for the winter this fall. Damn salt is such a pita.

Back