• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dropping an aw4 into a *gasp* TJ, what flexplate?

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
We dropped a aw4 out of an ho in, but the flexplate is from a renix. I'm wondering if there is a different flexplate as the motor won't start and it's definately a timing issue. From my buddy's search the part #'s are the same, but we all know how searching for #'s goes as opposed to real life experience.

BrettM said:
if the flexplate for the TJ 999 auto tranny will bolt up to the AW4, that would be the ticket

Is the CPS on a late model TJ in a different position on the bellhousing?

CRASH

Ding ding ding.....

Sean, Crash has you looking under the right rock......flexplate must match motor/CPU for proper timing of spark/fuel signal of which the CPS is a player in.

CRASH said:
Is the CPS on a late model TJ in a different position on the bellhousing?

CRASH

I don't know, he sold all the old tranny stuff. I've got nothing to look at now. I think it's in the same position, but I'm thinking the flexplate is wrong. Finding flexplates for either the HO aw4 or the 999 around here is proving to be rather difficult. Must find pictures somewhere-somehow :mad:

the computer needing the CPS reading should be the same between the TJ and the XJ of the same year, right? Assuming that, you could use a flexplate for an XJ of the same year. I got my flexplate shipped to my parts store within 48 hours for about $55.

Brett, I would think you are correct, but the plugs on the cps are different from xj-tj, so I won't play that game right now. This sucks as we're trying to get this thing buttoned up and the motor not starting right now has dropped our motivation considerably.

OneTonXJ said:
Brett, I would think you are correct, but the plugs on the cps are different from xj-tj, so I won't play that game right now. This sucks as we're trying to get this thing buttoned up and the motor not starting right now has dropped our motivation considerably.

May I suggest a:

m_lager.jpg

Andy, I've drank more than several of those over the last few weekends. We did just visit PA ya know.

OneTonXJ said:
Andy, I've drank more than several of those over the last few weekends. We did just visit PA ya know.

Man, that is some good beer. Haven't been able to find it out here. Even my dogs thought it yummy.....and they are pickier about their refreshments than i am.

CRASH said:
Man, that is some good beer. Haven't been able to find it out here. Even my dogs thought it yummy.....and they are pickier about their refreshments than i am.

I miss it dearly. I live in Budweiser country now.

Brett, what parts store did you use. I can't get any of my local guys to find one. I'm just wondering what the brand name would be or something like that. If the dealer orders it and the plate is wrong, I'm stuck with it.

Alright what is out of what here? Tranny shouldn't matter at all. All you need to worry about is matching the flexplate to the motor/PCM. Possibly your CPS won't match the correct flexplate but then splice the correct one in.
You can call Transtar here in Cincy @513-671-5160 ask for MaryAnn.
There may be one up by you.Rensing

Thanks Brett, I hadn't tried autozone as they usually can't get me anything specialty. I'm getting to be extremely disappointed in my Napa, they are getting to be like the rest of the parts stores hiring people that resemble a deer in my headlights.

Fern, are you saying that the aw4 and 999 have the same torque converter or at least mounting locations?

FernXJ said:
Alright what is out of what here? Tranny shouldn't matter at all. All you need to worry about is matching the flexplate to the motor/PCM. Possibly your CPS won't match the correct flexplate but then splice the correct one in.
You can call Transtar here in Cincy @513-671-5160 ask for MaryAnn.
There may be one up by you.Rensing

Hmmm, sounds familiar........now where have I heard that before? :dunno:

Back