• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump in the Road; Possible TCase Slip

Holy_Hand_Grenade

NAXJA Forum User
I hope I'm describing this correctly. As this part of the truck I have yet to really learn about.

Last night on my way home from work, I ended up by hitting a bump in the road (drainage gutter in intersection) and heard a loud and pop come from the rear end and the engine didnt sound *right*. So I went to pull over to see what happened and realized that I was stuck in 5th gear, it was forced up against the side of the center console. I was able to force it out, and it drives fine, but just cannot get into 5th gear or Reverse.

When I was able to pull over, I jumped under the jeep to find out if there was anything visibly different. the only thing that I was able to notice visibly is that the rear driveshaft has come out of the transfer case by about 1/2" to 3/4" noted by the really shiny part.

Other than that, it looks like the tranny and tcase is closer to the crossmember than I remember it, but never paid that much attention to it before now. My question is, is this a "park the truck and leave it till it's repaired" kind of thing or will it be able to get me to work till payday (this friday) just keeping it out of 5th gear? Or does it sound like something truthfully broke and will be an expensive repair, or does it sound like it might be a bolt that broke? The truck feels normal when driving in 1st - 4th gears, due to the "slip" the shifting position seems to have rotated a little forward and to the left (while sitting in truck) making it so that 5th gear and Reverse are unreachable because the shift lever hits the side of the center console.

Now for the juicy bits that you'll need to know.

1990 Jeep Cheroke Laredo
5spd Manual Transmission
208,000 Miles on engine only lightly used for offroading within last 5k miles
3" rough country lift (add a leaf rear and lift springs up front)
Other than radiator and lift, the jeep is stock

Thanks for any assistance,

Holy_Handgrenade

Back