• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5" leafs... leaning to the right?

NotMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, this might be kind of a silly question, but what the hell...

I recently put RE's extreme duty 4.5" leafs in the rear of my rig... and also have a friend who's running them with some shackles for a bit more lift, and both of our rigs (his more-so than mine) lean to the right (passenger) side.. parked, driving, etc.

My question is... what causes this? Is this a characteristic of RE leafs, or of leafs in general? My brother's Comanche is running the stock rear leafs in spring over config with a detroit, and I've never noticed his rig leaning over at all.

After searching a bit, some have said that it's caused by a rear locker, but that seems a bit far-fetched to me. My friend is running a Detroit and my rig has a spool in it, but it doesn't matter how I'm parked or whether I "unload" the suspension first when I park by driving back and forth in a straight line, it still leans right. Is this just because torque of the motor leans the whole rig over that way when you start from a stop, so the passenger side leaf gets "worked in" more than the driver's side?

And no, I don't carry fat chicks around in my ride. :p

I have the same leafs, and mine sags bad to the right. I think mine sagged because I have two inch blocks in the rear :gag:

swap a leaf with your buddy. My RE leafs were fine but my front driverside coil was a bit low. I took off the stock spacers when I did the lift and used the ones that came with the kit. So I took the coil off and added those stock spacers back to level it out a bit.

NotMatt said:
Is this just because torque of the motor leans the whole rig over that way when you start from a stop, so the passenger side leaf gets "worked in" more than the driver's side?

Torque-jacking is probably the issue. Are these brand new leafs, or used ones?

So the passenger side is lower than the drivers side when empty? abit of that is by design to sompensate for he weight of the driver. My nationals came with tags for ps/ds .

Mine are brand new leafs, yes. At first they were fine (in addition to netting me about 6" of lift), but now that they have settled down, I have about 4.75" of lift on the driver's side, and 4.25" of lift on the passenger side.

My buddy's came with his rig, and the lean on his is VERY severe, taking left turns, it feels like the whole rig is going to tip over if you're on the passenger side.

Guess I'll swap those leafs side to side and see what happens... I sure hope they don't KEEP sagging on that passenger side and eventually end up not giving me much lift at all.

On another unrelated note... anyone else notice with their 4.5" leafs that even after settling to the proper height, their shackle angle is still almost vertical? Sometimes I wish I would've just gone with some BOR leafs instead of these RE ones... basically it looks like they're not even close to the right length... they would need almost 1.5 extra inches of length for a proper shackle angle.

Last edited:
Back