• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still Overheating

irish_bear72

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question for anyone who may be able to help me, PLEASE!! I have an 89' that I took the old self contained radiator out of and replaced it with a brand new 92' version. I dont know what to do with the old overflow resevoir or the hoses that go to it. For some reason when I drive distances her temperature does not get above normal operating temp. but when I shut her off water rushes to the overflow resevoir causing it to shake, steam, and blow water everywhere. Causing me to have to constantly have to add water. The overflow that I have is still the old one from the self contained POS. I have not changed any of those hoses. Also, if it makes any diff. I live in Texas and the temp. has been getting to around 99 on a daily basis. Please HELP!!

If all you did was change the radiator then the next issue is that tank you are talking about. It is actually a surge tank and it sounds to me like it's not holding pressure. Might want to do one of two things, either eliminate the tank completely and replace with an overflow which involves some hose moves that others here are more familiar with OR get a new pressure tank and cap from say quadratec for I think about $20 or splurge and get a Griffin aluminum surge which is probably ALOT more expensive but looks cool :D. Either will probably solve the problem. There is nothing wrong with the closed system and going to an open one is not really an upgrade, it's just a change from one to the other. Alot of new vehicles use the closed system and we're talking 2000-2005 Fords & GM's as well as alot of imports.
One thing I am curious about is the prospect of having two pressure caps, one on the radiator and one on the surge and it's effect.

Back