• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Bolts

bbaker80

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what size these things are? My best guess is M13, but I can't seem to find any locally to make sure. I made 1/2" work for this weekend but without rubber bushings in my new LCA's there is a lot of noise and I can't really allign it until I can stop the parts from moving around. Thanks

This is a guess, but (a) I don't think Jeep used odd-number metric bolts, and (b) the rear spring bolts are 14mm ... so I'm going to guess that if 1/2" bolts (which are slightly larger than 12mm) are loose, you're probably looking at 14mm.

For a rough check, 9/16" is very close to 14mm and I have used 9/16" for the rear spring shackles in a pinch.

Thanks Eagle. I'll pick up some M14 bolts when I go to return the 9/16" that I attempted to use in the first place. The threaded part fit in the joint just fine, but the shank of the bolt was just a little too big. These are RockKrwaler joints btw.

Yup, 14mm is a hair smaller than 9/16". Just to say. Now the RK Joints should be 9/16". I know the Currie Johnny joints are. Not hard to take a 9/16" drill bit, run it threw the hole on the mount to enlarge it just the bit it needs. 14mm bolts are expensive compared to 9/16".

Eagle said:
This is a guess, but (a) I don't think Jeep used odd-number metric bolts, and (b) the rear spring bolts are 14mm ... so I'm going to guess that if 1/2" bolts (which are slightly larger than 12mm) are loose, you're probably looking at 14mm.

For a rough check, 9/16" is very close to 14mm and I have used 9/16" for the rear spring shackles in a pinch.
Odd metric bolts are indeed used. It's a 13mm 12 pt bolt that holds the front spindle on the steering arms for one.

We aren't talking about the size of the head of the bolt, but the bolt itself. 1/2" bolt has a 3/4" head, but it's still a 1/2" bolt.

bbaker80 said:
Thanks Eagle. I'll pick up some M14 bolts when I go to return the 9/16" that I attempted to use in the first place. The threaded part fit in the joint just fine, but the shank of the bolt was just a little too big. These are RockKrwaler joints btw.
Yeah, I only used 9/16" on the springs because it was a weekend and I was in a bind. I got them through the spring bushings, but even well-lubed with anti-sieze it was a bit of a press fit. 14mm should do 'er just fine.

Back