• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My build plan... what do you think

919Chief

NAXJA Forum User
Here is what I have and what I plan to build when I get home. The XJ is my daily driver and will be so for some time.

As it sits now: 87 XJ, D-44 with factory towing package, 4.0 + AW4, mostly stock running 30x9.50 BFG MT's. Roof rack thats pulling up out of the roof, faded paint. Dual battery setup, manual fan switch, 5.0 injectors. Runs well.

My plans:

2" Budget boost, already purchased but no time to install before I left.

AJ's Rock Rails, the price is right so it wouldn't be worth trying to duplicate them myself.

This front bumper: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJFST2&Category_Code=XJB
I may buy one or build one like it, with a home built brushguard to come later. But at that price I will probably buy if they are still oferring them when I get home, as they offer it cheaper on Ebay with extras thrown in.

A homebuilt rack running almost the full length of the roof, with shovel, ax, spare tire, hi-lift, gas and water can mounts.

A Ramsey 8500E winch on reciever mount to swap front and rear as needed.

Manual TC lockup and gearshift setup.

Some sort of locker for the rear... looking for input on one thats reasonably priced and easy to install in a driveway.

Home fabbed diff covers.

Herculiner for the entire floor to replace ratty carpet, including the cargo area.

I have a Ready Welder now that stays in it, and may add some sort of OBA as time permits and I come across a compressor cheap.

My budget is $1500 or less, and the more fabrication I do the more tools I get to buy and have for future projects from that budget

Whats does everyone think? Any suggestions? I have 10 months left to plan before I start to execute so I should have this planned to the last detail when I get home. Waaaaay overplanned most likely.

I can't assess your plan. I understand that the planning helps keep your mind busy, while over there. But don't forget to plan how to keep your head down, and come home safe.

_Maz

Sounds good but you can get a 3" lift from rustys offroad in Alabama 245$ with shocks use a ruff country trac bar relocator bracket as far as lockers go ive yet to install them on my XJ but my previous 95 YJ i used detroit ezlockers and installed them in a driveway i find that they are extremely durable as i shattered an axle inside the locker splines and it didnt even scratch it there abit noisy but i didnt mind because of the durablity o the price on the ez lockers was 230 $

Well, here is my take --

As for the budget boost, go ahead and get the longer shocks so you can take advantage of the additional travel, but I would go ahead and get 3" coils at least. When you put on the BB you will end up wanting more height.

The AJ's rock rails are a great choice. Nothing to add to that.

The bumper looks like it could be a good choice but make sure it has plenty of frame mounts, I have a BPI that nearly ripped itself off the front because it only used stock holes to mount. I would recommend the Rocklizard Fabrications Rock Moniter Bumper (http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/rock_monitor.htm) and at 289 it has a great mounting system and isn't to expensive.

No suggestions on the rack except to use the gutter mounts to secure it to the roof.

The winch and TC lock up both sound like good plans. Check with BrettM on this board for a prefabed switch that will give you manual control over your AW4.

As for a locker, any lunchbox locker will be easy to install and not be too expensive.

The Herculiner is a great idea, I did that to mine and its one of the best things I could have done to the interior.

On a side note, thank you for defending our country, be safe and come back in one piece--

HTH

Back