• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dropping an np231?

Jeepkid8037

NAXJA Forum User
So i wasnt sure if this was supposed to go in mod. tech or OEM, so i decided to post it here just to play it safe.

Heres the deal, im currently dropping my np231 out of my 93 jeep cherokee, i have both ds disconnected, the linkage disconnected, and the speedo disconnected as well. I have all of the bolts out except for two, the two that are on the VERY top of the t-case. How am i supposed to get to these? I have tried to drop the tranny/t-case as much as possible to try and fit in there, but a socket wrench is too big and a combination wrench is too long. Any idea? I would hopefully like to get this out tonight...

-Will

FYI, this is technically an "OEM" question - just so you know for next time...

I've done this a couple times, and the best tool for the job is a "stubby" wrench (I got a set in inch and a set in metric, and they come in REALLY handy!) With the stubby, you've got about half the length of the regular wrench (or less) and you can stick a "cheater" wrench on it that will come out at an angle - which gives you more room.

If you've already got the hood up and the transmission and tcase lowered, you should have enough access room for the stubby.

Fun job, isn't it?

5-90

5-90 said:
Ace Hardware may not have stubbies - try Sears. I'm sure they'll be open - so will every other hardware store (last-minute Dad's Day shopping...)

5-90

This is true, ace never has any thing i need for my jeep. No snap ring pliers, no stubbies, wuts next? lol

Back