• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone tell me what this disconnected harness I found is for??

Huerito

NAXJA Forum User
In the engine bay, on the left side of the motor next to the firewall. There are some wires that are attached to two harnesses. I found one disconnected and it seems as if it were like that for a long time. I don;t have a digital camera, so I will try my best to describe it.

There are two harnesses right next to the inlet/outlet for the heater core. One harness is round, the other square. They lead under the car and above the transmission. I know the speedometer and O2 sensor are on these wires.. but I cannot find where the rest go.

The one that was disconnected is the round one and the wires are;
Black/White line
Green/Red Line
Brown/White line
Black/Blue line

I have a 96 2Door XJ manual trans..

its used to reset the butthole identifaction sensor in the driver seat jokin ill just take a guess and say its used to reprogram the engine or tranny

I'm going to guess that they are communication between the throttle position sensor and an automatic transmissions. You have a manual, so they aren't needed. If possible, find someone with a 96 automatic, park next to their XJ, open the hoods and compare.

I don't have a '96, but I know there is an unused connector or two on my '88 that would be used with an automatic.

Eagle said:
I'm going to guess that they are communication between the throttle position sensor and an automatic transmissions. You have a manual, so they aren't needed. If possible, find someone with a 96 automatic, park next to their XJ, open the hoods and compare.

I don't have a '96, but I know there is an unused connector or two on my '88 that would be used with an automatic.

That sounds rational.

So they would be there, both male and female ends.. yet not connected? I connected them...

ok ok the butthole id is out but i think its the same connector to program the engine /tranny even though its a stick they just left a few pins out of the connector just a guess man

Attention XJnBama: that was neither amusing nor helpful. Grow up. Either help the guy out or don't, but unless you've got something useful to add please keep teh notfunnay inside your head, kthxu.

Huerito said:
Anyone else with ideas?

Is yours 4WD or 2WD? I have to admit I'm not familiar with the '96s, but from the routing of the wiring that you're describing it sounds as though it could be used for indicating the drivetrain mode.

Best bet would be to grab a Haynes manual or FSM and see what they say... We're all sort of just taking shots in the dark here.

casm said:
Attention XJnBama: that was neither amusing nor helpful. Grow up. Either help the guy out or don't, but unless you've got something useful to add please keep teh notfunnay inside your head, kthxu.

Is yours 4WD or 2WD? I have to admit I'm not familiar with the '96s, but from the routing of the wiring that you're describing it sounds as though it could be used for indicating the drivetrain mode.

Best bet would be to grab a Haynes manual or FSM and see what they say... We're all sort of just taking shots in the dark here.

2WD

I have the Chilton's manual.. and it covers 84-98 XJ, Grand XJ, Wagoneer, Comanche.. it is too broad. I will try to get a picture of it soon.

Huerito said:

Hm. Mkay, I'm gonna hazard a guess that either Eagle or I could be right. Ain't it great when things are so definite? :D

I have the Chilton's manual.. and it covers 84-98 XJ, Grand XJ, Wagoneer, Comanche.. it is too broad. I will try to get a picture of it soon.

Yeah... Look for the Haynes specific to the XJ; I know Kragen and AutoZone both carry them around here for about fifteen bucks. It's book 50010 - Cherokee, Comanche & Wagoneer all models '84 thru '00. Not as good as an FSM in all honesty, but still a useful reference to have laying around. Between that and a Chilton's you should be able to get an idea of what's going on.

I was looking at an 87 with a 5 speed and found what sounds like the identical wires. My buddy and I (it was his Jeep) went through the Factory Service Manual and decided that it went to the TCU on an Auto.

Can't say 100% thats what you're looking at, but it sure sounds similar.

Ron
00 XJ
87 XJ

If it was running before you connected them, I don't think connecting them was a good idea. Unless you know what something is and how it works, just plugging things together because the connectors happen to match up is not a great idea.

Unfortunately, 1996 is almost a stand-alone year electrically. It was the first year for OBD-II and the last year of the old body style, so it isn't safe to extrapolate from any other year FSM. I have a '94 manual, for example, but since I'm not certain that it would apply to your vehicle I don't think it will be any more accurate than the guess I have already proposed above.

I think you really need to either find a '96 FSM or park next to a '96 with automatic and compare wiring harnesses.

these are probably for the tranny/tcase communication which is a set of three connectors on the passanger side of the engine right next to the tranny dipstick. One is for the NSS, one is for the tcase 4x4 position and the other is for the tranny sensors.

thats my guess
pete

Back