• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wtf gives??

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
I have everything unbolted (u/l CA's, springs, shocks, steering, ect) but the track bar wont move (pop out) of the mount. That is the only thing holding the front axle in. I beat the living crap outta it with a BFH and it didn't move. Am I missing something? Really want this thing out tonight.

imma honky said:
I have everything unbolted (u/l CA's, springs, shocks, steering, ect) but the track bar wont move (pop out) of the mount. That is the only thing holding the front axle in. I beat the living crap outta it with a BFH and it didn't move. Am I missing something? Really want this thing out tonight.
Thats a tapered fitting in there but you already know that, or should :D Pickle fork and you might get lucky. They can be as bad as the steering stablizer. Just put a RE adjustable in one of the TJ's, felt that sucker SEAT, hope it does not have to come out for a while...
Just for laughs and now that you have the castle nut off, grease it. Thats how we got the stock one out, grease it with some synthetic lube and then drove it around the neighborhood [with the nut back on though not tight], it loosened up.

I think you may need a "picke fork" or universal puller to seperate them. You can usually borrow one for free at one of the big auto part stores

Ron
00 XJ
87 XJ

RichP said:
Thats a tapered fitting in there but you already know that, or should :D Pickle fork and you might get lucky. They can be as bad as the steering stablizer. Just put a RE adjustable in one of the TJ's, felt that sucker SEAT, hope it does not have to come out for a while...
Just for laughs and now that you have the castle nut off, grease it. Thats how we got the stock one out, grease it with some synthetic lube and then drove it around the neighborhood [with the nut back on though not tight], it loosened up.
well, can't quite drive it anywhere (no engine). And nope, had no idea it was a tapered fitting. Any other "methods"? I'm irritated as hell and covered in mosquito bites :(. Don't have a pickle fork handy, but i guess i can run to the store.... :(

I have a metal working hammer (creasing hammer) that has a wedge on one end, kind of looks like a big (short) cold chisel,with a handle sticking out of the side. Stuck the wedge end in there (one side of the stud, then the other) and wacked it with a BFH, popped out after about the third wack (switching sides a couple of times). My pickle fork was a bit to wide, not quite thick enough and a poor fit.

Make it easy on yourself! Since the engine is out, remove the whole bracket from the uni-body! Once out you can work on removing the trac bar from the bracket!

Brian

Got it out. Thanks guys. Ran to the AZ and got me a pickle fork. Did the trick. I figure, while the engine is out, I can clean the bay up a bit and removing the front axle makes things alot easier, plus it will make the installation of the lift easier... whenever I get around to order the damn thing.

I see you got yours off, but I tell you how I got mine off anyway(man that just sounds wrong). Anyway I had to wedge a block of wood between the pickle fork and the frame rail, then slipped a long pipe over the end of it, and used a jack to pry against the weight of the vehicle to get it loose. I accually had the front of the jeep off the ground, and was jumping on the bumper before it popped off! Needless to say I destroyed the TRE getting it off good thing I had a new one.

HUH? You don't pry on a "pickle fork". You use a BFH, and hit the end, driving the tapered part of the fork further between the TRE and the mount.

Use the tools properly... they work alot better that way.

nate said:
HUH? You don't pry on a "pickle fork". You use a BFH, and hit the end, driving the tapered part of the fork further between the TRE and the mount.

Use the tools properly... they work alot better that way.
Tried that, didn't work. I even had a 6lb sledge, and was starting to mushroom the end of the pickle fork down. The more I think about it I think I just used the track bar.

Back