• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tire carrier

jardine

NAXJA Forum User
alright im getting ready to start my rear tire carrier that will be mounted to my rear bumper but am not really sure where to start i cant figure out how i am going to make it a swing out. i dont know what to use as some kind of latch to make to stay. my idea is for the hindge i would buy some kind of busing maybe something like bushing from leaf springs and i would get a piece of tube that the bushing would fit inside of and the i would make some kind of bracket on the end of the tire carrier that would be the pivot point and put a bolt that goes down through the bracket and bushing but im not sure. i need your ideas and pictures would also help if you can tell me what you made the tire carrier out of and what you used for the hindge and the latch thanks for anyone who helps me cause i am stuck right now at my design. oh yeah and sorry about this post it is really confusing to read and understand exactly what i mean

thanks everyone
-tanner

I made a pivot with bearings for one and I've liked it better than the ones I made with bushings. The bushings wear and aren't as solid so it's more difficult to keep them from rattling.

I got a spindle for a small trailer that was straight 1" shaft for the bearings. I think the axle end to weld to was 1.5".
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200314613&R=200314613

Then got two 1" bore 2" OD sealed ball bearings.
Look at the "Steel Semi-Precision Ball Bearings" in the double seal type.
http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplC...455897036949&ScreenWidth=800&McMMainWidth=593

1 dust cap for a trailer hub.
A short piece of 2.25" OD .120" wall DOM
A short piece of 2" OD .120" wall DOM

I used a 3.75" piece of the 2.25" DOM and then a 2.5" piece of the 2" DOM. I slipped the 2" inside the 2.25" leaving a 1/2" space at the bottom. That way the bearing would sit flush with the bottom side. The upper bearing is recessed 1/4" (to leave room for the metal dust cap). I then plugged welded the inner piece from the outside to hold it in place. I tightened the nut down on the spindle to slightly preload the bearings and take up any slop and then used the standard key to keep it in place.

You can see where I plugged welded it if you look closely.
yjrear_pivot.jpg

Back