• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surging... Yes, I searched.

TRSCobra

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 98 XJ with a 4.0 and when I'm driving, usually shortly after I start the jeep, it will act like i'm jumping on the gas, then letting off completely and almost stall. Right before it stalls, it kicks back up again. It backfired through the intake today. After afew minutes of driving, it goes away and all is good, only to return at any time.

I've searched this forum and asked other knowledgeable XJ owners and it all seems to point to either:
1.TPS 2.Vacuum leak 3.MAP 4.PCV malfunction

But there's no code. I hooked a scan tool up and it says "LINK ERROR"
Unplugged the PCV valve and plugged the port, still does it

I did notice that on my IAC valve, the plastic section seems to have the slightest amount of play to it while the metal section stays rigid. Possible vacuum leak there??

I also cleaned my K&N and sprayed out my throttle body. No success.

Sorry about the long winded post but I'm at my wits end.

Apparently my cap and rotor are all burned up. I didn't think of this because a JUST replaced my plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil with the Performance Distributors Livewires ignition kit. I've gone like 6 months and 4000 miles and the cap and rotor that they gave me are shot! WTF! The screamin demon coil must be what burned them up. You'd think they would have done their research on a thing like that. :mad:

My stock cap and rotor lasted 60,000 miles with the stock coil and weren't as bad when I changed them. :flamemad:

TRSCobra said:
Apparently my cap and rotor are all burned up. I didn't think of this because a JUST replaced my plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil with the Performance Distributors Livewires ignition kit. I've gone like 6 months and 4000 miles and the cap and rotor that they gave me are shot! WTF! The screamin demon coil must be what burned them up. You'd think they would have done their research on a thing like that. :mad:

My stock cap and rotor lasted 60,000 miles with the stock coil and weren't as bad when I changed them. :flamemad:

There is nothing wrong with the stock OEM system, if you just have this 'Need' to upgrade it then use the mopar HP oem wires. I do mine yearly, usually in the spring or fall. OEM plugs, cap, rotor and wires.

Back