• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 conversion in a cherokee

dacerdude

NAXJA Forum User
i'm trying to research this idea and see whats all invloved in the procedure and also to find out if some rumors are true

I have an 1985 jeep cherokee pioneer 4x4 with a 2.5L i was looking in to putting a short block 350 or 305 into it and i was wondering what would all be involved with the conversion

I would also like anyone that can answer the question above to set me straight on some of the rumors i have heard about putting a v8 into the cherokee
1. would frame reinforcements be required?
2.would any cutting of the engine conpartment be required?

plenty of topics on that available, use "SEARCH" option on top right side of the screen. HTH and Good LUCK:) !

If you want an easy mod, AA makes a cradle mount that will readily accept the SBChevvy motor (305/350/400ci and variants.) If you want a swap with "cool" factor, use the AMC block (304/360/401, I think.)

I'd do a 401 swap if I had the engine, a spare chassis, and the room to do the job.

5-90

I have done a 6.0 vortec swap in a 93. Had to do some creative notching and reinforcing of the frame rails, as well as deal with a lot of other fitment issues. I think a small block Ford would be the way to go in an XJ. Fords are a narrower, and much lighter engine, that can put out just as much power as a SBC. Figure out what it will cost you to do the swap and double it, do the same with time.

Good luck

It seems as though a lot of people don't ever bother with the "what if" thought processes anymore. I am always looking, by eye or tape measure when I'm yard hopping looking for goodies in junk yards. The engine compartment in an XJ is about exactly the same size as the SJ full size Jeeps. All AMC V8s are exactly the same size on the outside, 290-401.....all the same. If you do the AMC swap, you can even use an existing transmission from an 80 and newer full size. I hope that helps.

Back