• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Hub

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced a ball joint (top) and put a new front hub in, 88 XJ, D-30. When I tightened the big nut on the yoke to specs, the bearing felt like it sliped a bit and got really tight. I backed the nut off 25 foot pounds (final torque 175) and it turned OK, but with a little more resistance than I`m comfortable with, but figured it was worth a try (it´s got a 12 month guarantee). I at first thought the rear seal race (on the axle) might be pushing on the seal face, but that wasn´t it.
Any thoughts, anybody have the same thing happen, with a replacement hub. The replacement Hub I used was BCA Federal Mogul 513107, part number checks out.

8Mud said:
I replaced a ball joint (top) and put a new front hub in, 88 XJ, D-30. When I tightened the big nut on the yoke to specs, the bearing felt like it sliped a bit and got really tight. I backed the nut off 25 foot pounds (final torque 175) and it turned OK, but with a little more resistance than I`m comfortable with, but figured it was worth a try (it´s got a 12 month guarantee). I at first thought the rear seal race (on the axle) might be pushing on the seal face, but that wasn´t it.
Any thoughts, anybody have the same thing happen, with a replacement hub. The replacement Hub I used was BCA Federal Mogul 513107, part number checks out.

these unit hubs when new should not rotate freely. they will have guite a bit oof resistance to movement, They will not spin by any means.

I could barley turn it with one hand (just the hub without the disc), almost needed two, after torquing it to 200 foot pounds. After retorquing it to 175, I could turn it with one hand, but with moderate resistance, it sure wouldn´t spin, I had to muscle it a bit.
I wasn´t finding the torque spec. (in my FSM) for the pre 91, I seem to remember 175 foot pounds. The torque spec. for the post 90, is something like 200 foot pounds. I don´t usually torque the bearing/axle yoke nut, just tighten them really tight. When the bearing started getting really stiff, I broke out the torque wrench, I got a case of nerves.
Hubs aren´t a common failure, I´ve only changed a few in 15 years.
I just get nervous when bearings seem tight. The yoke seemed OK, the bearings in the old hub were pretty bad.

Back