• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone considered running a d35/d30 hybrid up front?

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I broke my d30 housing the other day(306k and the passenger tube came out of the housing), got it home and found that the axle is not repairable.

I have a lot of spare time, and only a little spare cash, and since d35 parts are so cheap, plus the 30 and 35 have the same spline count, diameter and tube diameter, I am considering the hybrid as see-if-it-works sort of project.

The (spare)d35 I have has a detroit, 4.10 gears and two broken axle shafts.

I want to keep the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, and the front 8.8 never came in a non-IFS version to my knowledge, so is there another way to do what I want besides the hybrid?

This brings turdy polishing to a whole new level.

crazyoffroader said:
I broke my d30 housing the other day(306k and the passenger tube came out of the housing), got it home and found that the axle is not repairable.

I have a lot of spare time, and only a little spare cash, and since d35 parts are so cheap, plus the 30 and 35 have the same spline count, diameter and tube diameter, I am considering the hybrid as see-if-it-works sort of project.

The (spare)d35 I have has a detroit, 4.10 gears and two broken axle shafts.

I want to keep the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, and the front 8.8 never came in a non-IFS version to my knowledge, so is there another way to do what I want besides the hybrid?

This brings turdy polishing to a whole new level.

I don't seen any value in bringing a 35 up front and typically a "see-if-it-works" project shouldn't be associated with "cheap" parts. Any hybrid I've ever built has cost more than just getting something used and popping it in so keep that in mind.

Also it's very difficult to pull the tubes on any diff and reuse them in another one because of how they're rosetted and pressed into the housing. Most just re-tube the diff and doing so in this case would really be a waste of money.

If you're gonna build a hybrid I'd use a 44 center and 30 tubs. Doing it that way you could step up to 30 spline axles (also D44) and keep all of the outer 5 on 4.5.

Still you're gonna spend some coin...

Why don't you post up some determining factors first. You may want to include how much you have to spend because that will limit you right off the bat. When you see your hybrid start to come together price-wise I think you'll have a better idea if it's worth it or not.

Matt

Last edited:
:idea: Hmm let's combine the worst of both worlds...

Weak low pinion housing!

Weak carrier & gears!

Weak axleshafts/joints!

Weak tubes and steer knucks/BJs and hubs!

What's not to like?

Good Golly Man, used HP30 junk is dime-a-dozen. Find another and slap it in.

Back