• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ '86 2.5L Power Steering

milt

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the '86 2.5L FI model MJ was equipped with power steering? Mine doesn't have it and I'm having a difficult time trying to find the answer.

I want to add PS to this engine and this is the plan I have.

I have a 2.5L pump and bracket from a late model YJ. It fits but the pump has a serpentin pulley. I was hoping to swap the pulley with maybe one from a pump from an AMC 304/360.

Next, I'm going to find a gearbox from a Cherokee of approx same year. Front frame should be the same so it should bolt right up.

Anyone done this before? Any tips or advice?

Thanks
Milt

You can swap the pulley on the PS pump. I did it. I upgraded my early 2.5 over to have power steering and actually converted the rest of the system to the serpentine belt. The pumps were the same. I actually recommend changing the rest of your system over to serpentine. It works a lot better. A regular 4.0L alternator will work as well as the water pump pulley. All the accessories are the same. The bore and stroke of the 2.5L is the same as the 4.0L and the physical aspects of the front of the engine are identical. Now the PS bracket is different because the intakes are different, but the brackets for the alternator and even the AC are the same. What you are looking for is the normal configuration on vehicles of that year. Finding one without the power steering is actually pretty rare.

Tom,

You pretty much solved the whole thing for me. I have a left over alternator from a 92 YJ and it works fine. I even have some belts for a 92 YJ with PS and no AC that should work. Now I just need to find a serpentine water pump pulley and I think I know where I can get that.

I really appreciate it!

Milt

By the way, welcome to NAXJA. We have a very knowledgeable bunch of folks around here and are usually willing to help. Hope you find something you like and decide to stick around. Check out some of the regional groups and some of the events we sponsor.

You will need a harmonic damper for the 2.5L with serpentine belt. You can't use one from an AMC V8 -- even if the crankshaft snout diameter is the same, they will be balanced differently. And don't forget that the water pump for the serpentine belts rotates the opposite direction from the water pump with vee velts, so you'll need a water pump, as well.

86's were also sold with power steering and vee belts. I have a couple. I believe, from the various early 4-bangers I've encountered, that they had vee belts if they did not have a/c, and sepentine belts if they were equipped with a/c from the factory.

Tom, you may have answered my question as well. I have an '88 MJ 4-banger. It has power steering but no a/c and I'd like to convert to a/c. Sounds like it should be possible?

old_man said:
. We have a very knowledgeable bunch of folks around here and are usually willing to help

Eagle said:
. And don't forget that the water pump for the serpentine belts rotates the opposite direction from the water pump with vee velts, so you'll need a water pump, as well.

Exhibit A of what Tom's talking about :laugh3:

Jeff

milt said:
I have a left over alternator from a 92 YJ and it works fine.
I just noticed this. I don't think the '92 alternator is compatible with the '86 electrical system. I believe the '86 is like the '88s, and uses a Delco alternator with an internal voltage regulator. The '92 (Wrangler or Cherokee) used a different alternator and had the voltage regulator incorporated into the PCM. You need to find an alternator that's a match for your year vehicle.

barillms said:
Eagle, you're so smart.
I know more than two people who might disagree.

I just happen to have an uncommon number of XJs and MJs on hand, together with an uncommon number of XJ/MJ factory service manuals.

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the comments and advice.

I'll probably try and stay with as many of the stock parts as I can. Once I have it all done I'll post what I did and maybe a photo.

-Milt

The '86's did come with powersteering. Mine has/had it.

I'm running a '94 MPI motor but was able to hook up the lines from the '94 PS pump right to the '86 steering box. Works fine other than it being a 20 year old steering box.

Back