• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me choose! C4x4 or Protofab front bumper.

Carp.xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
I can't decide between these two front bumpers:

C4x4
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/front_xj.html (first one on page)
pics page: http://jeepin.com/newbumper_album/index.htm

Protofab4x4
http://www.protofab4x4.com/prod0300.htm

Do you any of you guys have experiences with either of these?
Which would you buy?
They cost about the same after shipping and powdercoat. The Protofab bumper has no D ring tabs....

Please mention any bumpers similar to these two which I may have overlooked...but I have seen: RigidCo, RockLizard, Warn, Four Real Steal, etc.....

Any input welcome. Thanks.

-----------
'96 Auto, RE 4.5", 33" MTRs, 4.56s....with stuff....bla bla...
Sebastian
(SoCal)
http://my-xj.tripod.com

i say both. bolt them together for 2x the strength!

Carp.xj said:
Please mention any bumpers similar to these two which I may have overlooked...but I have seen: RigidCo, RockLizard, Warn, Four Real Steal, etc.....

How about this one? Dan is more or less local to you and his bumpers are really nice. They are really beefy and for a winch bumper you have really no loss of cleranace (as opposed to some other bumpers out there).

ANyways, also if you figure cost of shipping for other bumpers, gas to pick one up from Dan would be way less :D

cherowagon said:
Have you looked at their winch bumper closely? It's got a terrible approach angle. Their nonwinch one is pretty nice, but I don't know why they built their winch one the way they built it.

cherowagon said:
i think they look the best out of all bumpers on the market, and they are hella stout for steering reinforcment
Have you seen one in person? Cause I would not go as far as saying they are the best. I agree that they are stout, but so are quite a few other bumpers out there. I liked them till I had an opportunity to see one in person. I was really dissapointed as not many changes would have to be made to make it more usable (approach angle improvement). Their non winch bumper is really nice as it tucks in really close and the approach angle is amazing.

Kejtar said:
How about this one? Dan is more or less local to you and his bumpers are really nice. They are really beefy and for a winch bumper you have really no loss of cleranace (as opposed to some other bumpers out there).

ANyways, also if you figure cost of shipping for other bumpers, gas to pick one up from Dan would be way less :D
Thanks for posting guys....

I like Dan's bumpers, but I'm looking for a pre-runner bar. Does he do "custom" stuff? Could he throw one on for me? Does he have a NAXJA user name?
Or maybe I'll email him....does he check it?

Keep the feedback coming....
Anyone who has experiences with the bumpers mentioned in my first post, reply! Again, other suggestions welcome.
Basic Criteria:
-Beefy winch plate bumper
-pre-runner bar
-D ring tabs
-excellent corner protection/compatible with Bushwackers

Carp.xj said:
Thanks for posting guys....

I like Dan's bumpers, but I'm looking for a pre-runner bar. Does he do "custom" stuff? Could he throw one on for me? Does he have a NAXJA user name?
Or maybe I'll email him....does he check it?
His user name is Dan Turner. You can actually call him as his number is listed on his website.
In regards to custom work I believe it's all negotiable, but details you'd have to work out with him (he's got a really nicely equipped shop which also includes a tubing bender and he's a welder extraordinaire :repair: ).

I've been really happy with my C4x4 Trailblazer bumper.

100_0363.jpg

Out of those two I like the Custom4x4 better. It looks very similar to the Rigidco winch bumper, which I have. It definitely doesn't have the best approach angle (a recessed winch bumper does), but I can't see the c4x4 being any better. My winch almost touches the grille, the bumper sticks out maybe an inch past the front of the winch, and the bottom angle piece points straight at the tires. The thing that's really keeping me from having a good approach angle is the stupid roller fairlead, which I incapacitated during the last trip!

My vote is still for the Rigidco: excellent quality, great customer service, best mounting system (incorporates steering box plate also), $140 cheaper.

Back