• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how desirable?

scase86

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys I just scored a free 1990 cherokee laredo and need to hear some opinions on it. Mainly I am trying to find out how desireable this model with its particular options would be. it has the np 242 transfer case, a D44 in the rear with trakloc and its loaded with as many factory options as possible. anyway the interior is cherry but the exterior does need some slight work...nothing horrible but faded paint, minor dings etc. the reason I am asking what everyone thinks is because I am seriously considering using this jeep for rally racing through SCCA. any opinions?

Excellent vehicle. 1990 was the last year for the Renix injection/ignition system. Just check the brakes. If it has ABS, it's the original Bendix ABS system, and you'll want to remove it ASAP and replace with conventional brakes.

Are you certain it has a D44? That would be extermely UNlikely in a 1990 XJ.

well im sure it has a dana...guess its possible and more likely it is a dana 35?! It does have a factory (apperas to be factory) towing package. I guess I will just have to look closer and see. anyway you peaked my interest when you said replace the brakes. If I may ask, what was faulty/ and or so undesirable about the bendix ABS? thanks.

That braking system is total crap! I had it on my 89 Wagoneer, all I did was unplug the computer under the rear seat and everything was fine. You will notice a buzzing sound though when applying the brakes, I think it's a hydraulic system and that's the pump kicking in. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. My tonor wheels for the ABS system were really rusty, and when I applied the brake it was horribly jumpy and almost wouldn't stop for me!

The problem (the major problem, anyway ... there were several) with the early Bendix ABS system is that most ABS systems fail-safe to conventional (non-ABS) brake function if the system fails. The Bendix system can fail to NO brakes. In other words, it does not have a properly designed fail-safe.

Back