• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking/tapping Noise

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
96 4 litre, 163,000 miles, at idle it sounds great, when reved in neutral it sounds great, when accelerating slowly sounds fine, when accelerating hard there is a slight clicking/tapping noise. anyone know what that could be and should I be worried about it??

Probably a crack in the exhaust manifold. Check in the area where the two secondary pipes meet the collector because that's the most crack-prone area. Bad engine mounts can make this worse.

It could be preignition, ping. Try a tank of premium fuel. If that fixes it, run a can of BG44K through the gas. I run a can every 10K miles in every vehicle I have. It does wonders for cleaning up the injectors and getting rid of carbon buildup.

After listening more closley keeping in mind it could be a crack in the header it sounds like that might just be the issue because the engine is running fine and it makes no noises at idle or even when revved in N, i'm going to get underthere and look later this weekend. can anything be done to fix it besides replacing the header if its cracked and thats the problem??

Replace the cracked stock manifold with an aftermarket header e.g. Borla, Banks, Thorley, Mike Leach. You'd be wasting your time trying to weld the crack because they invariably crack again.

Quick fix it to take it to a shop and have them weld it, thats a temporary fix at worst. Seems alot of the newer cars and trucks, not just Jeeps, have this problem. Mentioned it to my friend warren who has the shop and thats what he uses his welder for more than anything else, 95% of them he does while still in the vehicle. A new aftermarket header is probably the best way to go for a long term fix, more expensive for sure.

Back