• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline Noise in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I recently changed my differential fluid front and rear. I seem to have driveline noise. I can't really say if it is noisier after I have changed the diff fluid or not. It does not sound like a wheel bearing but more of a whooooooooooooom noise. Could my trac-loc be making this noise. What does a noisy trac-lock sound like? Also sometimes when I turn my tires I get a single loud clunk. Anyway I can't pinpoint this. Any help would be appreciated.

Not to overstate the obvious, but did you remember to add the friction modifier to your trac loc axle? If not, this could be contributing to your noise...

When the friction modifier is not added, or it's worn out; you'll get somewhat of a "clattering" or "clunking" going on.... That's the clutch plates being noisy...

I did add the Mopar Friction Modifier. I used Castrol Synthetic 75W-90 oil. I found I had some noise about a week later. I had a bad U-Joint in the front axleshaft and replaced it. I then replaced the front diff fluid with the same type of gear oil. It sounds like really noisy tires. My tires are brand new and were not loud when I got them so I don't think it is the tires. Should I add more friction modifier?

Back