• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size Question

tazz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok bear with me it more than likely has been asked but...
Will say 31x10.50 Baja Claws fit under a 92 with a 2" lift with the right offset rims?
And if so what offset would I need?

Yeah I tried but most of what I get is that you need a 3" lift. But I was wondering if you change the rim offset if you could get it to work without rubbing too much?
See most of my use is a DD since there is very little trails around here, so there will not be too much flexing, but I just love the Baja Claw!

I say put em on. If they rub the fenders, trim them up.
Do a search on fender trimming. You will find a lot of good info on good clean ways to do it.

I am going to have to say no they wont fit without rubbing. I put bald 31's on my 2" lift and they rubbed when backing out of my driveway and on sharp turns. And that was after some minor trimming. There is no way you will be able to flex with that setup.

So could they work with out any dammage?
Small rubbing at full lock turn I can live with.

everyones vehicle is different. I say you just go for it and if your not happy (like I was) than just cut up those purty fenders.

On stock rims they should fit and stuff inside the fenders, but will rub the lower control arms.

Run rims with less backspacing and when the suspension compresses the tires will hit the flares rather than stuff inside the fenders.

Find the URL for Ed Stevens personal web page and read his article on the topic. I used to have it bookmarked, but ... things happen.

Sweet !
Thanx Eagle!
That's the info I was hoping for.
and if someone else is looking for "Ed Stevens" web page I found this link that Eagle posted earlier in a different thread.
Thanx again Eagle!
http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

Last edited:
On my last jeep I ran 31" on a 3" lift and they still rub, curently on this jeep i am running 31" on a little more than a 2" lift, for now the jeep will not see much offroad, and the tires place gave me a better deal on the 31" (there were over stocked on 31" and out of the 30") you should be fine only if your jeep doesnt plan to see to much offroad while on this set up...i am planing a little triming and possiblity of a larger lift

when i got my XJ off of ebay, it came with a 2 inch lift.. at the time it had some American Racing alloy wheels that where completly um... the wheel lugs and the wheel itself AND the tire were all in "line" if i where to take a wheel off and lay it on the ground the mounting holes and center of the wheel would almost touch the ground._____ I think it is a severe negative backspacing...
anyways hope you get the visual, I think it was -4.5" backspacing... I AM not sure/dont remember. MY tire size was and is 265/75/R16 =32inch (almost)
I did have rubbing but only in severe turning and it was lower control arm as mentioned in other replies. so if you want to run that size 1. get more of a lift
or 2. get the right backspaced rim as you where thinking.. I now have a 4" lift and the same tires but different wheels/backspacing and of course now no rubbing.

Back