• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More Storage

zahra2325

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever taken out rear plastic quarter panel and seen how much room is back there?
I'm thinking of making a tool / gear box to fit in that spot and extends over the wheel well? Anyone done it? Ideas ? Drawbacks?

There's a bit of room (I've installed some electronics back there) - but if you really want a toolbox, why not do a "raised" cargo deck and have a couple drawers under it? Quite a few people here have done just that - usually with the top just covering the wheel wells. For the dead space, I'd have trapdoors that would go into small bins (with latches, of course!) that would let me store small road kit.

You could even go with reducing the width of the drawers and install capped tubes - so you could carry extra driveshafts and/or axle shafts, if you're that sort of guy...

I just haven't gotten around to designing mine just yet...

5-90

zahra2325 said:
Has anyone ever taken out rear plastic quarter panel and seen how much room is back there?
I'm thinking of making a tool / gear box to fit in that spot and extends over the wheel well? Anyone done it? Ideas ? Drawbacks?

If you do make something tehre, make sure not to remove any structural parts. If you do, provide reinforcements that bring back the strength to same or better.
Also you might end up getting more noise from the outside.

Kejtar said:
If you do make something tehre, make sure not to remove any structural parts. If you do, provide reinforcements that bring back the strength to same or better.
Also you might end up getting more noise from the outside.

Yeah - that's why I brought up the raised deck idea - didn't you do something like that?

I just don't like playing about with structural things if I can avoid it...

5-90

5-90 said:
Yeah - that's why I brought up the raised deck idea - didn't you do something like that?

I just don't like playing about with structural things if I can avoid it...

5-90
What I built was something like this. Since the time I built this one, I had to replace it with another one because it no longer fit with my cage (too wide in the rear). THe one I've made is nearly identical, with the exception that it ties to the cage supports on the sides and it is slimmer (side to side)

I took the right quarter panel off and mounted a 1/2 hp Curry air compresser (about the size of an old ford starter motor plus 3") on the rear side of the wheel well with angle brackets I faded. I cut away the indentation witch left plunty of room to roll up 17' of air hose and store it out of the way. Then I removed the back seat bottom and ran air lines to that area, I pick up a junked back of the back seat with carpet that matched, screwed the cover to the side of the frame and cut away the seat cover and foam. Then located electric valves and an air tank for the ARB's. There is lots of storage still under the back seat for whatever. When I had the panels off and carpet up I insulated under and behind everything. I built a kitchen box and storage box for camping along with a good size cooler and put tie downs throughout the back to strap them down leaving a space between for a 70# dog.
Storage trays are cool also. Be careful about drilling holes in the floor(voice of expearence) in back because the gas tank is flush against it
Plan out what you want to carry back there before you start.

I built a tool box out of some aluminum flashing that went in the spare tire, mostly just a model to see if it would fit, made an extension of the bolt that the spare tire bolts to that went thru the round tool box and used a big wing nut to hold it in place. Tried using pop rivets and the aluminum was just not strong enough. If I try it again I'll use sheet metal and take it to somone to have it welded this time. You can build a pretty big round can to fit inside that wheel.

RichP said:
I built a tool box out of some aluminum flashing that went in the spare tire, mostly just a model to see if it would fit, made an extension of the bolt that the spare tire bolts to that went thru the round tool box and used a big wing nut to hold it in place. Tried using pop rivets and the aluminum was just not strong enough. If I try it again I'll use sheet metal and take it to somone to have it welded this time. You can build a pretty big round can to fit inside that wheel.
Why not go to a college or something and have people in the welding class weld it up for you (the aluminum that is). I'm taking a welding class now and couple guys there are looking into playing with aluminum, so if you look around locally you might get lucky.

Kejtar said:
Why not go to a college or something and have people in the welding class weld it up for you (the aluminum that is). I'm taking a welding class now and couple guys there are looking into playing with aluminum, so if you look around locally you might get lucky.

The stuff I used was leftover from when I replaced all the windows, 8ft sliding doors in the house and had the outside 1x4 trim wrapped. It's pretty thin stuff and colored [electroplated ?] colonial blue so I don't think it would weld too well. Sure cut the snot out of my hands though while I was cutting and bending it.

zahra2325 said:
What's behind the side spare tire side?
Fuel filler neck, spare tire rod attach brace, and lots o wires. I removed the spare tire mount, mount. Then slapped in an 8" sub on that side, and built a box in the other side for another 8" sub. It's not like the spare tire mount was doing my 33's any good anyways. Not really room for a tool box I don't think. I'm going with the raised floor idea I think.

I'm gonna try putting the sub on that side and keeping the spare in its original spot, it'll cover the sub but i think that'll give me a better chance of putting the toolbox on the other side.
on the amp side:
i saw a thread about amp placement and that under the back seat driver side is cooler than that pass. side, is that right might heats up and cuts off on long trips.
or is there a better conceled spot for it?

ive been thinking of making a toolbox over the wheelwell on the passenger side for a while. the drawrs in the cargo area is a great idea, but with the box on the side you could put in an amp and a 12" sub, and in a steel toolbox it would be verry hard to steal

I built some toolboxes on both sides over the wheel wells they have a removable front panel and a hinged lid. The have a shelf in them that carries all my tools. the are about 18" long and stick in from the wheel well about 4", i've got both batteries and lots of parts under the tools. The good thing is that i have full use of the length of the cargo area but i lose a little width so i cannot mount my 35" on the floor so its on a swingout. I can post pics later if anywants to see these.

Dingo

Without removing anything structural. I have two spare rear axle shafts, jumper cables, and several other small items on the pass side. The drivers side has all of my engine oil, axle, oil, tranny fluid etc.

I keep my tool box portable so that I can take it to the problem (often on other vehicles or a ways down the trail). I also have a false deck with a 33 below it and a slide out box that hold all of my trail tools (cables, tow straps, chain, etc, etc). I still have plenty of room on top for camping gear, coolers, etc.

If you are careful you can cut out the side panels and still keep it looking nice with the trim of the panels.

Michael

Here's a shot of both boxes

808664_66_full.jpg

as you can see i still have full height and length available.

Here's the left box, you can't really see them but there's about every socket you could want under the hammers and screwdrivers. this side also has the airtools. under the shelf is most of my spare parts and fluids.

808664_70_full.jpg

808664_71_full.jpg

808664_72_full.jpg

Here's the right box, this has all my wrenches and pliers, under the shelf is the battery (only using one right now) and some more fluids.

808664_67_full.jpg

808664_68_full.jpg

808664_69_full.jpg

The shelfs come out so can get to the batteries and the bolts that hold the frame down. what you can't see is that on the front of the boxes i have 4 15 road flares (right side) and a small grease gun with extra cartridges (left side)

I'd be happy to get dimensions if any body needs them.

Dingo

Back