• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with longer e-brake cables

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to use some longer e-brake cables off of a 95 YJ passenger side, reputedly. They seem to have 1/2" too short of cable where they attach to the e-brake underneath. The cables themselves are way longer than stock, it is just the portion between where the cables mount on the body, and the mount on the handle. Extending the rod won't work because when adjusted correctly, the holder gizmo will be on the stock adjuster rod. I have the brake adjusters retracted all the way, but that didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions? other than ditching the 5-spd for an auto so I don't need e-brakes. :)

Fred

I should mention that this is on a 90 XJ, since I see that the later years have very different e-brake set-ups.

Fred

Even if you have an auto, you still need e-brakes, IMHO.

I've got the 95 YJ cables on my 94 XJ (with a 5spd.) I hooked the cables to the drums first, then to the e-brake handle. No problems here,

That was the procedure I followed and the metal flange that holds the cable ends is about 1/2" from the end of the metal rod.

The auto tranny comment was a joke. Install axles with Led someday, and you'll get it. "You don't need that, I never install that, etc." :laugh3:

Fred

Beats the heck out of me, then. I'd have to look underneath mine, but IIRC there's a few inches of exposed cable.

Fred said:
They seem to have 1/2" too short of cable where they attach to the e-brake underneath.

I did this mod way back in '97 on my '89. The write-up I followed may have come from the Cherokee America website. Anyway, it said to cut off a couple inches of the spiral shielding at the end of the cable that mounts to the brake handle. In my case, I cut off the amount prescribed in the write-up but that ended up being too much.

I would say try cutting back a half inch at a time.

I had to extend the rod that connects the handle to the thing that holds the cable ends on mine(a '93 BTW).

Since we are on the topic, how hard is it to install the new cables? I have never really looked at how the cables attach at the brake end.

joecool said:
Since we are on the topic, how hard is it to install the new cables? I have never really looked at how the cables attach at the brake end.
It's barely even a one-beer job.

A one beer job? Well.......

Gotta take the brake drums off, and take enough stuff off to get the cable out of the backing plate. That takes some finagling, there's a one way connector that has to be compressed. The whole cable comes out and gets unhooked from the shoe.

Thanks for the help. I got it "finished" last night, then I took it to my local brake shop to check my work this morning. They fixed my handy work and now everything is good, and I learned a LOT from it. Later.

I took Yucca-man's advice. Cut the threaded rod with Mr. Dremel about 1/2' since my already built extension is a 2" bolt with a couple of nuts welded to the head. I also cut off some of the shoulder on the flange nut. I now have e-brakes.

Course I've bled the brakes with almost 3 pints of brake fluid and I still don't have good petal with all new brake parts on the D-44. :repair:

Thanks,
Fred

Interesting to hear that some had issues with the YJ cable swap. For me (96, AX-15, 231, 8.25 then and D44 now) the cables went in no problem - plenty of length in the line to hook up. Should we all measure our rods (that sounds awful) to see if Jeep stuck different length lever rods in pre-97 XJs?

Back