• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advance Auto or Mean Green Alternator?

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I needa replace my alternator and was wondering if the mean green was worth it? I've read past threads and a few people have said no, but I plan on running lights, subs, eventually a winch. I was looking for alternators with high amp output so mean green came to mind. Or is the stock 90amp just fine for off road lights. I was also wondering which would hold up in terms of reliability. Thanks in advance

I had a local alternator shop rebuild me a 130amp for about $120...

I do have a Mean Green starter and it was a damn good investment...

been running for 5 years without a hitch...

well built indeed...

pricey tho!

I got a 150 amp unit from www.mralternator.com IIRC it was approx $150 with no core charge.

It's been in use in one XJ/MJ or another since spring of 2000...

Mean Green seem kinda high for an alternator.

I had to trim my aluminum mount on the mill in order to fit the Mean Green on my 97. I'm not sure if they have one that fits without mods now or not.

I also had a local shop rebuilt my stock alt to a 145amp. They also upgraded the internal regulator and fan, total was $140 out the door. Check your yellow pages under Auto Repair for a starter or generator shop.

for warranty reasons i would go local if your local shop has an attractive warranty. I got the already mentioned mr. alternator 150 amp ap denso unit in 2002-ish and works great. At the time i bought my 150 amp unit mr. alternator was about 40 % cheaper than mean grean and mean greens warranty was a puny 90 days or 120 days or something pathetic like that.

Back