• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Humming from gas tank ! help

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok heres the storty guys... the last 2 days have been hell... first of all my jeep wouldnt start...i was sure it was the starter so i put a new one in there and it worked fine... the next morning it go to start it...and all i hear is CLICK CLICK... then i jump it with dads car and drive home from school. later on it still wouldnt start...my battery is good and my starter is new... so i figured it was my POSITIVE and GROUND wires to the battery. i replaced my POSITIVE, NEGATIVE and the short RED wire that goes to all the fuse things... since then its started up every time. its been 5 hours.. my question is that when i walk to the back of the jeep i hear a humming noise coming from the gas tank... isnt that the fuel pump ??? . is that supposed to be on ALL THE TIME... it hasent stopped hummiing for 3 hours and the key is NOT in the ignition. does anyone know what i should do ??

1989 jeep cherokee pioneer 4.0

thankyou guys

Right behind the start relay (the squarish silver can right behind the battery) there is a block of four small relays - about 1" square (and probably blue, if they're original.) As I recall from a recent post, the second one back is the fuel pump relay.

Quick test - pull the relay and go around back to see if the humming stops. If it does, that's the problem (and the correct relay. It may be the second one FROM the back...) if not, you'll have to go under and check the wiring going forward from the fuel tank "stinger" - but it's all easy to get to,since it comes out from the upper front centre of the tank.

5-90

Back