• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think I solved my overheating issue!

GottaBeJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have been fighting with an overheating jeep for a long time now, and have replaced one thing at a time trying to find it. I don't have it fully assembled and on the road for a test drive yet, but I am pretty sure this is the problem, and it would always be the very last thing you fix.

Here's what I have put in: CSF 3-Row radiator, gone through several thermostats, new hoses, fan clutch, temp sensor, electric fan, electric fan rewired for in cab control switch. And I was still over heating. I would be fine on the highway, but idling or anything under 30MPH or under 1500 RPM's at that 30MPH and under would overheat. I thought, maybe it's the waterpump, but how could that be? It isn't displaying any of the symptoms of a ruptured pump, like the weeping or constant overheating no matter what. So I wondered, is it possible that the little fins could have corroded off? No way, it seemed like something was pushing the water in there, but it just wasn't pushing enough, especially at slow speeds/low RPM's. Oh well, not much else left to change, might as well.

Who would have thunk it? :rofl: The pump was still trying to work, just the fins had completely eroded off.

100_1600.jpg

100_1604.jpg

Someone else posted some pictures like this a while back. My question is where do the little pieces go? Id be afraid they would be clogging some of the little water jackets up. Or maybe they break off so small it doesnt matter? Have you noticed any little metal bits in your coolant?

94XJ4x4 said:
Someone else posted some pictures like this a while back. My question is where do the little pieces go? Id be afraid they would be clogging some of the little water jackets up. Or maybe they break off so small it doesnt matter? Have you noticed any little metal bits in your coolant?

The little pieces clog up the small passages of your 3 core radiator.

CRASH

Here's a "quick and dirty" water pump test - if you see that the engine is heating up at a stop or at idle, run it up to about 1800rpm or so. If it starts to cool off right away, your water pump is likely NOT the problem - the faster water circulation is what's helping to cool your engine.

This isn't 100% accurate, but it can help rule things out...

5-90

5-90 said:
Here's a "quick and dirty" water pump test - if you see that the engine is heating up at a stop or at idle, run it up to about 1800rpm or so. If it starts to cool off right away, your water pump is likely NOT the problem - the faster water circulation is what's helping to cool your engine.

This isn't 100% accurate, but it can help rule things out...

5-90

Actually, as you can tell by the pics, there is a little left there to cause some circulation, but only at higher RPM's, so, therefore, I just blew that theory right out the window, because that is what I thought all along until today. Whenever idling or low RPM's, I could put it in neutral and run the RPM's up and it would bring the temp down a little, because what was left of that pump was trying to push some more water through.

Yeah, that'll do it!

What about overheating that occurs during higher rpms? I've had my radiator cleaned out, flushed, new thermostat, but I have yet to check the water pump. Any ideas?

Back