• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 flipping questions.

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
Recently located an '82 chevy 3500 truck with a LP D60 and 14 bolt, both geared to 4.10.

My question is if the Passenger drop, LP axle can have the center section(or ends for that matter) rotated and be regeared to be a Drivers drop, HP axle?

My main concerns are the vents and if the housing will tolerate being run upside down and backwards, in relation to how is was before.

Are there differences between the HP and LP castings?

I'm picking up the truck(or what's left of it) for $300, and the flip job will run me another $300 where I used to work, so is this possible?

I figure $600(+ gears) isn't bad compared to the $1200 I was quoted for one out of a junk yard.

Should I go for it, or try to make the jeep have a Passenger drop T-case :D ?

crazyoffroader said:
My main concerns are the vents and if the housing will tolerate being run upside down and backwards, in relation to how is was before.

Are there differences between the HP and LP castings?

Can't be done. The HP housings have different oil passages to allow for oiling of the pinion bearings. You're only choice to be able to run that housing is to have the center section retubed to be on the drivers side.

crazyoffroader said:
Recently located an '82 chevy 3500 truck with a LP D60 and 14 bolt, both geared to 4.10.

My question is if the Passenger drop, LP axle can have the center section(or ends for that matter) rotated and be regeared to be a Drivers drop, HP axle?

I'm picking up the truck(or what's left of it) for $300, and the flip job will run me another $300 where I used to work, so is this possible?

A shop actually quoted you $300 to "flip" it? Run Forest run!

BrettM said:
a slightly larger concern with flipping a LP housing is that you need to flip the rear axle too so they drive the same way, but then you will have 4 or 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear :laugh3:

I thought I might be able to get around that by using HP gears, but here's the reason Why it won't work.

DIFFS.JPG

Well darn, where can I get this thing retubed? Is it possible to press the tubes out of the housing and back into the other side?

If I'm getting this retubed anyway, is there any reason I can't use the center section out of a rear D60 HP in the front? I have one sitting in the back yard collecting rust(no guts, just the housing).

Thanks for the input.

Back