• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advise on Vibs and shacking

Cris_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 96' XJ with a 3" lift and 31''s , I was getting the vibs I always heard when you lift a Jeep at 45/50mph ,today the 1" TC drop was install , the vibs are not that bad anymore but I still got some left at 50mph specially when Im at around 55mph and let go the gas get's down to 50mph and shakes badly ,the only other thing I can think off is that I never got a alligment done after changing from stock tires to the 31's but somehow it doesn't feel like a alligment problem ....any ideas ???..Thanks

balance your tires perhaps

dude dont you understand *****(censoring myself for a change) he said vibes and shaking.

always trying to help!

possibly a d/s u-joint gone bad
chock the vehicle on flat ground then put the driveline into nuetral then twist the driveshafts & pry on them lightly w/a screwdriver or other

I had a 4-4.5" set-up on my 96' to start. Same vibes, did the 1" drop. Cured the rear vibes. Now with 6" I have vibes in the ft. I have to ditch the 1" drop and go SYE.

You didn't mention which t-case you have. Auto w/ 231? try this...

You should try dropping the ft driveshaft and go for a spin. See if they quit. While its off, check the u-joints for wear.
Then put it back and drop the rear driveshaft, shift to 4h and go for another spin. This should give you a good idea of which one is creating your vibration.

if it vibes on deceleration only then i believe the pinion angle is wrong.

"Anyway, if the vibes are the worst when accelerating, that means the pinion is moving up a bit (axle wrap) when you hit that gas. This will make the angle worse and cause vibs. " (jeepforum.com)

logic tells me if the vibes are during decel instead then the pinion angle is too low. feel free to correct me.

I had shaking and vibes and some good ol DW going on at 4.5", getting a front end alignment helped quite a bit on my jeep, but they are all different...

Thanks for all the help ,I will try the wheels alignment done first since I need it anyway ....if that doesn't fix it Im not going to put any effort into it anymore ,I just got the clear from the wife to sell it and buy a 97' to 99' XJ that will be my next project ,this 96' was my first one and it serve me as a learning tool ,the next one Im not going to make the mistakes I did in this one , the main thing that comes to mind is " wait to get money for the good stuff and don't buy half ass equipment you end up paying twice" ....so I thank everyone for helping this is a great site to learn and meet good friends ...take care guys

ferday said:

"Anyway, if the vibes are the worst when accelerating, that means the pinion is moving up a bit (axle wrap) when you hit that gas. This will make the angle worse and cause vibs. " (jeepforum.com)

logic tells me if the vibes are during decel instead then the pinion angle is too low. feel free to correct me.
x2

It's not an alignment issue.

ferday said:

This is it .....how will you fix the angle??.....Thanks

Back