• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment specs (?)

Efaray

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA'ers,

Over the past few weekends, my buddy and I have installed an RE 3.5" SuperRide lift in my 2000 XJ. Netted probably about 5" of lift. I've shimmed the rear axle 4 degrees, but will have to drop the transfer case a little to get rid of a mild vibration issue. The problems I encountered along the way though, were often solved with a visit to these forums... thanks!

Now I've got to get my Jeep aligned. I went to Sears today to look at wheels/tires (amongst other places) and while there asked about an alignment. Right before I was about to leave, the guy said that since my Jeep was lifted, they'd need to know the new specs to align it to. It never occurred to me that there'd be different alignment specs for a lifted Jeep.

Anyone know what these are? Could you reply with the numbers I'd need to tell my alignment shop?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Find GoJeep's web site and read his article on alignment. Your 2000 has a low pinion front axle, so be sure to use the numbers for that rather than for the high pinion axles.

XJs are all high pinion through 1999. 2000 is the first year of the low pinion D30.

ChiXJeff said:
XJs are all high pinion through 1999. 2000 is the first year of the low pinion D30.

The high pinion is stronger and needs smaller shaft angle.
Wonder why they replaced it with a low in 2000.

falcon556 said:
The high pinion is stronger and needs smaller shaft angle.
Wonder why they replaced it with a low in 2000.

It's all about the money. All of the TJs got a low pinion, and considering the XJ was going to cease production, this let D/C eliminate a complete assembly (at least, diff casting and gears) from their current parts list.

Just as a follow up... I spoke to the guys at R.E. They said that alignment can be set to Factory Min. for Caster, and Factory Max. for Toe In. They also said that it should be aligned again in 1000 miles to compensate for spring settling.

Thanks for all the info here. I appreciate it. Just wanted to let everyone know what else I found for the sake of sharing info.

Frank

Back