• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 MJ 4x4 longbed

cwlongshot

NAXJA Forum User
This was bought as a striped down truck. No gauges, no cigarette lighter no clock and only a raido.

I see full gauge clusters on EBAY, if i get one will all required wiring be there in the dash ready to plug in??? I have already purchased the Clock and cigarette lighter but have not received them.
What about the raido? Is that thre same as current models? I have a factory TJ with cassette just sittin in the garage, I wonder if that fit???? I am sure I could MAKE it fit, thats not my question though.....

Thanks guys!!!
CW

An '89 MJ has a mechanical speedo and the second generation speedo cable connection. You can use a gauge cluster for an XJ or MJ from 1988 thriough 1990. (Actually from 1987-1/2, but it's tough to verify that half.) The wiring is all in place, but you need to replace the oil pressure sender and the coolant temperature sender (the one at the back of the head -- if the truck has a/c there will be three temp senders in the vehicle, if no a/c there are only two) with the corresponding senders for use with gauges.

The radio is a single DIN unit with a proprietary connector on the back for the vehicle harness to plug into. I believe the TJ radios are 1-1/2 DIN size, which means too tall. Don't expect you can make it fit, because there's NO excess space back there. Even aftermarket single-DIN radios are a TIGHT fit. Just go to Crutchfield and get an entry-level Panasonic with CD player for $100 and call it good. They'll give you the adapter for the wiring harness and a mounting bracket. Nice radio, not a lot of bells and whistles, which means the controls are easy to understand and large enough for normal size fingers to operate.

Hey! Where are you in Connecticut? Are you the guy who just bought the MJ I was looking at? Hit me with a PM.

Back