• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo+tach drop to 0 w/airbag light?

UprightXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98' XJ and am noticing the speedometer as well as the tach are randomly droping to 0, along with the airbag light coming on. It typically lasts for only a minute or two then returns to normal. Any suggestions on what the cause could be? Thnx!

I have a 99 that does the same thing. There was a TSB out about this problem. It has to do with the plugs on the back of the gauge cluster. They have a habit of getting loose or coroded. The "technical" way to fix it is to put a new plug on. I have sanded the connection points with a fine sandpaper to get any gunk off of them. Works pretty good for a fix, and you can't beat the price, free! If you are going down the road when it happens, pop the dash once or twice, they will come back on!

Hit a good electronics store and pickup a GC burnishing tool, looks like a matchbook striker only made from steel, it's used to clean contacts.
Disconnect the battery
Remove the center bezel around the radio
start removing screws around the dashboard
Remove the gauge panel, it has two self docking connectors and that is where the trouble is.
Clean them out, both the male and female side.
I tweaked my pins a bit, just a hair and then carefully reseated the cluster. When I say a hair I mean a hair, the only reason I know they tweaked was because I could feel it when I used a pair of micro pliers. If you bend them it won't seat right again and you risk bending the pins.
I did mine once about 3 years ago and it's been fine since then.
I also put a dab of dielectric grease on the sockets too.
The other alternative is to replace the sockets, dealer has them.

Had same thing happen on '98XJ & '94YJ. Common problem, my fix was the same for both gauge clusters. Maybe it'll help U. Remove gauge cluster and re-tighten (don't over-tighten) small Phillips-head screws on back of contacts. if there is any corrosion (due to water drips...) clean that off first with some isopropyl alcohol, then tighten screws.

Back